(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: I 81 South to Cabela's

Monday, October 11, 2010

I 81 South to Cabela's




Alan took Becky and me along on his senior trip yesterday. He didn't choose to go on his actual class trip (to drink and party down in the Catskills) and, although the Cabela's trip was something he always wanted to do instead, cash and circumstances had never conspired to make it possible.




However, he and his sister pooled their money and planned this excursion to the Cabela's store in Hamburg PA for yesterday. And they invited me to join them.



There is a certain amount of choice in routes between here and there. And it is possible, nay probable, that Alan's choice of 476, the toll road that ambles off toward Allentown, may have been an improvement over my choice...I-81 that is....which is the one we took. I-81 is industrial strength ugly, make no mistake about it.




Some quotes from participants in the epic journey and others who heard of our woes:

"I-81 is one long rumble strip from the border to the exit for Hamburg."

"Hey, lookit that guy that went off on the median and is driving there! Wow, is he crazy or what???"

"No, it's probably smoother there."

And of Route 61, which was the one we took from 81 to Hamburg, "I think this road was laid out by a white-tailed deer on crack."

Yeah, the ride was rough.





However, the store is really, really, really cool. It is an amazing thing to actually see the mounts of deer you have read about in Outdoor Life or Field and Stream. I wish my feet had been up to more time in the deer room, where there are legions of legendary bucks for viewing. I didn't even take any pics there as the room is very dark and I am a poor student of flash photography.

There is so much stuff to see, and hear (such as folks who should stay away from turkey calls as they are going to scare away any turkeys they encounter...of course I couldn't get Alan, the terror of the stairwells at Coby...to demonstrate his stuff) smell, (I shudder to imagine the reaction of a deer that accidentally found itself in the deer lure department...just mind boggling...if I ever go again I am going AROUND that departement) and taste, (yeah cinnamon roasted pecans, what's not to like)



I took some photos, probably fewer than I should have, but if you can visit the place yourself, do.... just plan on buying ball joints, tie rods, shocks, and tranquilizers at the end of the trip..

My favorite part was the aquarium. I could have spent the whole time there!

8 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I love places like Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops - fantastic things to see and do.

Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures. And I hope your spine (and vehicle) have recovered. :)

Jinglebob said...

Cool shots. We have a smaller Cabela's at Rapid City. I spend way too much time and money there and I don't even come close to lots of folks around here.

joated said...

I love the Hamburg Cabela's! It's part retail and part museum.

I've been to several other Cabela's around the country and have to say that, so far, this one's the best!

lisa said...

We loved going to Cabela's, hopefully in the near future we will be planning a trip also! Good pictures of Alan and Becky!

Linda said...

It's on my bucket list. Thanks for the preview.

Ericka said...

my brother used to live about half an hour away from the one in dundee mi. LOVE that store. they have trout in a stream swimming through the store.

and the aquariums are amazing!

glad you had fun!

June said...

That's a store? It looks like an amusement park or a museum!

threecollie said...

REv. Paul, It was simply amazing and the workers in the store were very nice. I was really tired yesterday from the stress of the drive...it was pretty awful, but I am glad to have had the chance to go.

JB, if there was one close enough we would be frequent customers. I have a couple of fleece vests from their catalog and I love them...plus I CANNOT resist fishing tackle. It catches me every time

Joated, I thought of you several times as we visited because I was pretty sure you went often. Wish it was closer because we surely would too

Lisa, thanks, the store was fun, the trip was awful

Linda, I hope you make it. It is an incredible place. I could have spent hours in the deer room. As I said it was so incredible to actually see mounts of bucks I had read about. I love the stories in the sporting magazines about monster bucks and antler scores. To actually see the animals was really cool

Ericka, they did in Hamburg too...big white ones that we couldn't identify and rainbows that would break a pole if you caught one. I too loved the aquarium...could have spent the day there.

June, amusement park for hunters and fisherman, museum of wildlife, store for profit for Cabela's...and an amazing place. Actually quite educational as well....there are signs all through the place with a lot of interesting material.