(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Birds

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Birds




Heard this godawful screeching yesterday, like thousands of finger nails on dozens of chalkboards. Went out to see what was up and discovered a massive flock of starlings congregated in the honey locust.

There were so many that it was literally raining feathers. I had seen a few tearing up the stag horn sumacs out in the front yard, but yowsa! What a huge and noisy flock was hanging in the back yard.

Suddenly they took off with a rush of wings that had to be heard to be believed. I kinda waved the camera in their general direction and clicked the button a few times. Got a tiny fraction of the flock just by luck

Hearing the sound they made got me thinking about what the passenger pigeons must have sounded like when they flew over....and did it rain feathers...and other birdie by-products....when they passed....just wondering is all.

8 comments:

joated said...

Good point about the passenger pigeons. That they could darken the skies...must have been one heck of a sight.

The grackles should be gathering soon, too.

lisa said...

I sure have been noticing all the activity too! I thought your post yesterday was very nice!

Anonymous said...

Starlings must have been successful this season as we have had an unusually huge flock here too.

Jinglebob said...

That reminds me of a little rhyme a rodeo clown used to say.

Little birdie in the sky
Dropped some whitewash in my eye
Did I cry? Oh no, not I
I'm just glad that BULLS don't fly!

Terry and Linda said...

We are losing more and more of the summer birds...so sad. They too go by in flocks, but nothing like the one you talked about.

The winter birds are returning, which helps. Soon the owls will be back to roost in our trees.

The hay coordination is really a great idea.

Threecollie you do wonderful things for the farming and ranching communites.

I thank you,
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

Joated, it boggles the mind doesn't it? We always have a lot of starlings, but this year the flocks are just huge!

Lisa, thank you!

Anon, seems like there are a lot for sure and they are very, very loud.

JB, good one! and a very good point as well. lol

Linda, thank you. I am missing the summer birds so much! There are a few still around but they are quiet. In mid summer I can take a book out on the sitting porch and never turn a page. So much bird activity in the yard that it is better than any plot or TV show. Now if I see a crow it is saying something...

Linda said...

Our blackbirds and starlings have left......maybe they flew over your place.....personally they are two birds that I wish would stay away;)

threecollie said...

Linda, we certainly have enough of them for yours to be included in the flocks. lol I don;t like them much either but....