(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Mike's Antique Milking Machines

Friday, September 09, 2011

Mike's Antique Milking Machines






This is a well-known collection of vintage milking machines that was displayed at the Fonda Fair this year.

They are all fun to look at, but as far as I am concerned, we are low tech enough with our overhead pipeline and milkers on canes that we cart around from cow to cow.

A nice milking parlor would suit me just fine.....I was taught to milk in a double-six herringbone, then had to re-learn the job in a conventional barn when I met the boss...kind of going backwards in time so to speak.....sometimes I dream of that parlor......

8 comments:

Linda said...

LOL we always milked by hand.....I wouldn't have a clue how to use one of the old or new ones......I've NEVER been in a real dairy barn ever!

Rev. Paul said...

I still miss helping Grandpa with the milking. He even made me my own milking stool so I could work on the gentler cows while he took care of the bad-tempered ones.

R.Powers said...

Neat!

I was just checking in to make sure you had not washed away.

threecollie said...

Linda, really? Wow, I am surprised but I suppose dairies aren't thick on the ground on the prairie. Far as that goes I have never been on a ranch although I enjoy yours and JB's just as if I was there. I hate milking by hand but I have done it...glad I don't have to very often!

Rev. Paul, that is so cool! I have never actually had a milking stool. A lot of guys use those ones you fasten on with a belt, but I was always afraid I would smack the cow behind me with it and get kicked. lol

FC, we are still here, but this has been awful, I hate to think how long it is going to take to restore the roads and bridges and get places out from under water. Never seen anything like it.

Brandy said...

Can you tell me what the machine is to the left of the Fords 1926?

threecollie said...

Hi Brandy, sorry to say, I know nothing about these machines. They are a regular exhibit at our county fair (cancelled this year) and I don't know the owner either. Here is a link to a story about him, which might allow you to find out. https://www.syracuse.com/living/2016/03/modern_milkman_cny_native_owns_largest_milking_machine_collection_in_northeast.html

Brandy said...

Thank you for answering and the article.

threecollie said...

You are most welcome. Wish I could have helped more.