(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: What to Say on a Gloomy Day

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What to Say on a Gloomy Day

One of our life goals, elusive, and hard to brew


Not much. Cold, damp, muddy. Cows ditto and not liking it much. Leaves left, or mostly. Trees black with the heaviest crop of riverbank grape I believe I have ever seen. You could make wine I'll bet, tasting of summer and bittersweet fall, sunshine versus moonshine, fine, dark, blackbird wine. They surely like them anyhow and set up a din as they pick and squabble.

One of these days the men are going to limb some branches off the Winesap tree so the repair truck can get in to deal with our non-functional furnace. Then maybe I will get the tame grapes for jelly, oh so far above my head even with our tallest ladder. I am thinking about maybe adding in some of those wild riverbank critters for just a spark of different.

Meanwhile, it is cold, indoors and outdoors. Alan is attempting to build an outdoor boiler contraption that will heat just a little water to send through the pipes to make just a little warm in here. I am eagerly cheering him on.

On the bright side, it is warm in the barn, thanks to the cows' hearty metabolism. Five minutes after they crowd through the door it is toasty, and by the time the grain is gobbled, we are shedding polar fleece and rolling up our sleeves.

Is it time to milk yet, I wonder?


9 comments:

June said...

I think I'd be out in the barn cuddled up amongst the cows.

Cathy said...

TC. This is one of those posts that makes me mourn.

Mourn for an environment so rich that it spills into every moment of a day.

"blackbird wine" . .. "riverbank critters" . . "boiler contraption" . . . " the cow's hearty metabolism"

Terry and Linda said...

Is it milking time yet.........?

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Linda said...

It's colder in the house than outside here lately......or maybe I just wear more going out but I find it more comfortable anyway.

Jinglebob said...

Very eloquent!

Anonymous said...

Your writing is like poetry!

threecollie said...

June, it sure is a lot warmer out there. lol

Cathy, we are rich in beauty and interest..and thanks for your kind words. I am getting Novemberish these days and having trouble finding words at all...

Linda, twice a day and thankful for it. lol

Linda, same here! I come inside and put on a fleece vest and a woolly hat and it is STILL too cold to sit still. Although I heat a 2-liter soda bottle full of water in the microwave and tuck it under a blanket when I sit in my chair...it does help

JB, thank you sir!

Dairymilkmaid, thank you very much!

Cathy said...

Yeah. "Novemberish"

Awful month.

I just keep trying to remember that as fast as life seems to be going as I age . .

that Spring is just around the corner.

Yeah. Right. ;)

threecollie said...

Cathy, funny how summer slides by like a rocket sled on rails while winter lingers and lingers and lingers. Very gloom inducing.