(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Amid the Wreckage

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Amid the Wreckage


As I run...er....trudge..up and down the cellar stairs in hot pursuit of photos of the no longer at all hot furnace, I find that there are bright sides to be found.

So far it is not all that cold out. (Please send our share of Global Warming now, thanks.)



My little three-breed heifer, Scottie (half-Jersey, one-quarter Holstein, one-quarter milking shorthorn) had a heifer calf by our milking shorthorn bull yesterday. She is a little cutie. The boss and I milked Scottie for the first time this morning and she didn't kick much. That could change, but we didn't have a rodeo this morning at least.




Scottie is just a tiny little thing, takes after the Jersey half of her pedigree I guess, but she goes back to some decent Holstein show cows and has a nice enough udder and pretty correct feet and legs...which don't quite match her very large and excessively hairy head, but what the heck, you can't have everything and she will probably look much better when she sheds out in the spring.

And each fall I bring in my multitude of house plants, including a lot of holiday cacti. Usually I stick them in the parlor, a room we don't use much, and although they bloom, no one sees their flowers.



This year I was in a hurry and they never made it past the living room, which we use as just what it sounds like. Thus the flowers are right there handy to brighten our days...works pretty good too.

9 comments:

Linda said...

I love "Christmas Cactus" as I call it anyway but haven't had one in a while.....makes me want to go out and buy one. Glad to hear your have a bit better day.

June said...

I'm glad you can enjoy your cactus blooms in the midst of your drudgery!
I had one that just went south on me....it turned PINK....then it grew one little tiny green leaf and when I touched it the other day, it fell right to pieces. I guess that is, pretty clearly, THE END.

Jeff said...

Hope things are looking up for you! Sometimes inexpensive refurbished furnaces can be found through oil dealers.....

Cathy said...

I love that you haven't lost your sense of humor:

" . (Please send our share of Global Warming now, thanks.)"

And I love that amidst the turmoil you've found the time to sift these pretty blossoms through the internet and onto my laptop :)

Oh! Congrats on the little heifer!

Dani said...

I love the Christmas Cactus! I always end up killing the poor things though.

Terry and Linda said...

I too love zygo cactus and yours are just lovely! I am so sorry about the furnance, but amid that you gave to us flowers.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

Hope you're OK. Always our good wishes coming your way. . .

threecollie said...

Sorry to one and all about not getting posts done or answering comments. To as insult to injury I am sick as a dog and can barely function. Back at it in a few days I hope. Meanwhile take care.

Cathy said...

Oh my God. You're sick
Oh Marianne. I'm so sorry.
All our wishes for peace and comfort.