(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Danger

Monday, December 05, 2011

Danger


My parents' next door neighbor was tragically killed by a car a couple of weeks ago. Shock waves rippled through the area....he was a fixture...someone everyone knew and liked and his kids were best friends with my younger brother when we were young. We all visited a lot when we were kids and played backyard football and all and ran in and out of each other's houses tame. The accident was horrible and made worse by some pretty tasteless newspaper coverage.

There were phrases like "pedestrian error" and such bandied about, but those of us who visit that area or grew up on that awful road know better. Cars fly along that straightaway like they were climbing the curves at a speedway.

Just getting the mail at my folks' house or pulling out of their driveway is an exercise in fear (yeah, all right I AM kind of timid but still....)

Now this happened to the very house where my folks' neighbor lived. And the house is not real near the road or anything.There are rumors of drag racing.

I think it's time for some folks in uniforms to enforce the speed laws out there....just sayin'.

9 comments:

WeldrBrat said...

I am so sorry to hear about such a terrible tragedy and loss, especially at this time of year. This is so uncalled for. The mindlessness in this nation is to blame for every accident that occurs such as this... whether they're on scene or not. The common thinking does no good. It only encourages others. And it's time for everyone taking part in such behavior to stop themselves. Please extend my sincere condolences to all those within the circle of this man's life. May God provide comfort and strength for all.

Shirley said...

First, my condolences and prayers for the family of this man, and secondly, with another fatality at the same location, if the police don't sit up and take notice perhaps the people will. Spike belts come to mind.

Linda said...

That's terrible! I think this is where taking the law into your own hands is almost appropriate!.

Cathy said...

I feel the same sadness, anger and frustration as your first commenters.

The mindless, aggressive driving that I've witnessed lately makes me furious. Where is the enforcement?

And I always wonder why speeding drivers don't have the imagination to foresee the tragedies they could foment with their headlong race to get from point A to point B.

What do they not get about speed killing . . about the vulnerability of flesh and blood?

The terrifying thing is that we all know it could be our loved ones that fall as victims to this mindlessness.

I am so sorry for this man and his family.

lisa said...

I found out at the school this morning, some of the kids started talking about it. I feel for Judy! I would be scared to death to even stay in the house after all this.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Agreed. How tragic! So sorry :(

~Lisa

threecollie said...

WB, it is so sad. No matter what the underlying cause I shudder to imagine the pain.

Shirley, thanks, our state is broke. They could balance the budget handing out speeding tickets...and save lives in the bargain.
'

Linda, and sadly we found out last night that Alan knew the boy who died and his sister who was gravely injured.

Cathy, I have read that young men of that age simply don't possess the tools to have the right kind of judgement mentally to be sensible. Why they make such fine soldiers I guess. But what a hideous tragedy on so many levels. It is sickening and frightening and it is so hard to find answers. However, some radar traps might help...might...


LIsa, such trauma for her! And she is such a sweet person. I feel awful for her too. Do your kids know the kids involved? Alan did...

Lisa, thanks

Terry and Linda said...

I agree! We see racing out here in the country...ALL THE TIME! Since we are county no one comes to check...someday there will be a reason to come check...and it will bring saddness with it.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

Linda, these accidents were so awful, yet not surprising at all. The road is like a race track...just getting the mail or getting out of a driveway is a huge risk