(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Kateri Tekakwitha

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Kateri Tekakwitha



This story is probably a little off-topic for a dairy farm blog, but we grew up Catholic and Kateri was born just a little bit down the road from here. Her shrine is right across the river and we pass it often, when we head up west for supplies and groceries. 


Her name was as familiar to us when we were school kids learning area history as those of Sir William Johnson and Joseph Brant. To read that she is finally to achieve sainthood seems fitting and proper and maybe even a little personal. She feels kind of like an old friend.


She was a lady of this valley a long time ago, but still....if she had looked South across the river from the Mohawk village or "castle" of Caughnawaga where she lived part of her life, she would have seen the hill where our house and barns sit today.

8 comments:

Shirley said...

She is loved in Canada. We have a feast day for her in the Church liturgical calender. How cool that you live where she lived.

Anonymous said...

Dear Daughter:
Didn't know all that religeous education rubbed off on you that much.
I always loved Auriesville shrine. The peace in the ravine, where long long ago such horrible things happened to Isaac Jogues, and Rene Goupet was indescribable. It seemed like they were there, watching over us kids as we walked along the creek.
What memories you stir.
Love Mom

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

May Blessed Kateri's sanctification bring blessings to all who dwell in the Mohawk valley and help them recover from the ravages of this summer's storms. At the very least, pilgrims may pour in from distant places,boosting the local economies.

Cathy said...

Having been raised Catholic, I understand how this resonates with you.

I, once again, love Woodwalker's comment. Lovely.

And now I have to google those (for me) exotic names that your sweet mom mentioned :)

nyvolfan said...

So much history in our area....how lucky we are. Yet I'm afraid so many either don't realize it or don't care.

threecollie said...

Shirley, oh, that is so cool! We used to live less than a mile from the Auriesville Shrine and often walked to church alone...my next younger brother and I...early on summer mornings. She is very important there having been born at that spot.

Mom, we are planning on walking the paths next summer. Ralph has never been and it has been decades for me. I remember walking to church with Mike on foggy summer mornings. ONce a buck jumped right out of the mist in front of us. One of the first deer I ever saw up close.
Love you

WW, thank you for that very sweet thought. I can remember when the buses were lined up bumper to bumper to get to the shrine. Not so much any more.

Cathy, oh, do Google. Amazing stories there! This was quite a region back in those days. And I love WW's comment as well.

NYV, the older I get the more I think about the people who walked this land before we did...not so terribly many years ago in the grand scheme of things either. It would be such a shame to forget, yet I am afraid you are right. Not only are people forgetting, some of them are never going to know at all. What a loss.

Terry and Linda said...

You sent chills down my spine as I read your post and her story. And to think she probably walked on your land. Beautiful!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

LInda, I was so happy to hear that she will finally attain sainthood. I have so many memories of learning about her and the martyrs when we were young and growing up here.