(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Last Night When I Came In

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Last Night When I Came In





The stars were out last night when I came in, clip-clopping slowly across the ice in my Yak Trax, like a sharp shod work horse going back to its stable. They were not quite Adirondack bright, but pretty darned clear and cold and shiny for being so close to town. As cold as it was I shut off my flashlight for a few minutes just to watch and listen...as I do most evenings year round, testing and tasting the waters of our wild Northview fish bowl...


The night was exceptionally quiet as if all the smart creatures, even the cars and trains, had gone to their dens to snuggle up out of the cold. It was good to know that our work was done, cows fed and milked, heifers double fed against the cold, cats hiding in the barns and the pony tucked up for the night. The boss bought us takeout for supper so I didn't even have to cook.


There was one bright greenish object in the sky, just off the zenith. Could have been an exceptional star or maybe some man made thing cruising around up there with the ancients. I was too lazy to look it up when I came inside and besides a lot of research sites were as dark as that cold night sky...not that I blame them a bit. Maybe Orion was playing baseball instead of stalking around with his bow, hunting trouble. Maybe he hit one out of the park and it hung there shining against the dark. Could have been, who knows with Orion?


He tends to stomp across the heifer barn roof early every morning and I worry you know...he is pretty big and heavy.


Anyhow, this morning dawned with a frozen crescent moon and an ice skin over everything that is going to defy those Yak Trax I fear. Time to do it all again and to dream of spring and greenery.



9 comments:

Keith Wilson said...

When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life (from Groundhog Day)

“In the midst of winter, I find within me the invisible summer...”
- Leo Tolstoy

The sun is racing north, the days are lengthening, maple sap is dripping from trees, and beneath the snow and ice is spring...

Shirley said...

Beautiful post, no photos needed with a description like that. Love how you referred to the stars as the ancients.

Cathy said...

I try to limit myself to mentioning just one of the lines that created that Nice! shimmer.

Well, after the paragraph that included a pony tucked in for the night . .

. . . it had to be this:
"Maybe he hit one out of the park and it hung there shining against the dark. "

of course there was the thing cruising around up there with the ancients . . . and how do you pass up the image of Orion stomping across the heifer roof?

Can't. Won't. :)

joated said...

Pretty poetic. Lyricaly lovely.
Musically musing.

I love it when you string words together like this post.

Anonymous said...

I love it when you so aptly express all the wonders you experience in the farm life you have chosen, because it so becomes you.
Love Mom

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

It's always such a pleasure to walk with you through your words.

Mappy said...

Fred ,
Love your thoughts and the insight to your life.!!!! You helped me see some of things when were younger!!
Thanks from the bottom of my heart !!!

Love ya !!
Mappy

R.Powers said...

I could feel the cold.

... no really, it was cold here last night... 38.


In all seriousness, that was some mighty fine wordsmithing.

And I have absolutely no idea what a Yak Trax is.

threecollie said...

Keith, I am counting the weeks! January is not a big favorite, but it won't be long....I hope...


Shirley, thank you for your kind words. It is hard not to be inspired by such a beautiful night.

Cathy, as always your kind words make my day! I have always gotten a kick out of seeing Orion perfectly lined up so his feet seem to be on the roof of the barn...just a small amusement, but one I much enjoy.

Thank you Joated, it was a lovely evening...sometimes I think the hours just after sunset are the most peaceful and gentle of the day.


Thank you Mom, you know the writing thing came from you...lol...love you!

WW, thank you kindly!


Mappy, thank you little brother and thanks for all you do to make my life easier. Love you!

FC, half the time it isn't even 38 inside! lol Yaktrax are little rubber band thingies with wire thingies that stretch over your boots to provide traction. We had several warm days, rain, mushy snow, then a hard freeze. Everything and I do mean everything is covered with three or four inches of iron hard ice. The Yaktrax are not fool proof, but they sure do help.