(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Things You Learn While Moving Heifers

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Things You Learn While Moving Heifers

The electric fence gate is indeed "hot". If you touch it while wearing thick rubber boots and gloves and standing on snow, you won't get grounded completely and knocked on your *ss. However, liquid fire will run over your skin and you will cuss in the general direction of the guy who built such a tight d*** gate! Ouch!


When you worry and agonize for months over how you will move a certain recalcitrant heifer with big horns and a bad attitude, from heifer barn to cow barn....... When you sweat and plan and lose sleep fretting over what she will do......


She will walk quietly, almost exactly where you want her to go, and stroll into the barn and let you lug her into a stall with only the most minor of disagreements.


As if to say, "Ha, fooled you, didn't I?"


And the best cow moving item I have ever found is an old worn out canoe paddle. I always keep something on the porch with which to direct cow traffic. I can't count the number of times I have looked out the window to see cattle coming at me where they don't belong. Or heard hooves and moos out of place. It does not pay to chase them unarmed, as they will laugh and leap around you, kicking up their heels as they race away.


However, as with any tool sequestered by the lady of the house, all my fiber glass sorting sticks became "walking" sticks (as in walking away..I have a walking hammer too) and are over at the barn. When the time came to move an animal recently there was nothing on the back porch to choose from but a hoe and the canoe paddle.


 I chose the one that fit my hand the best and carried the fondest memories. Much to my astonishment cattle respect that paddle. And do not challenge me when I carry it. Must be because they can see it so well and it makes me look wider (amazing) and more dangerous.


Anyhow, farmers love to recycle and I am going to recycle that old paddle!


**Thanks again for your prayers and thoughts. Dad had a good day yesterday and took two walks and ate hit meals. I think that is excellent progress.

8 comments:

June said...

I hope your dad continues to improve...I missed that a couple of days ago.

Wonder if a canoe paddle would help with poodles? Nah. They're too small, and despite their age, too agile.

joated said...

Glad your Dad is improving.

Loved your little lessons this morning. Had me smiling.

Susan Rose said...

Sounds like your dad is doing well. God is good!

I admire how you compose entertaining articles out of everyday events. Today's post is a good example of that skill.

: )

Cathy said...

So glad to hear your dad is up and moving. That's just so great! I well know the relief your family is enjoying.

As for electric fences and scary heifers . . .

I'm terrified standing 10 feet from them. Can't imagine a close encounter of the worst kind.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Well... now THIS is an interesting blog post title...

Glad your dad is recovering so quickly!

Rev. Paul said...

Good lessons; brought back memories of summers on my grandparents' farm, as well as a dozen whitetail deer seasons.

Glad to hear your dad is improving so nicely, too.

threecollie said...

June, thanks, he has had some rough times, but I guess he is progressing as expected. I was really surprised about the paddle...

Joated, thanks, and thanks again!

Susan, thank you..life is so interesting in its little details...


Cathy, he had some rough times yesterday, but I guess he is progressing as expected. I was afraid of that poor girl, but she couldn't be any nicer...so far...

REbecca, thanks!

Rev Paul, thanks for your kind thoughts. Hopefully he is progressing today..

Terry and Linda said...

I sure hope your Dad continues to improve...sending prayers your way.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com