(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Uplifting

Monday, January 16, 2012

Uplifting



Well, actually uploading....a video of my brother playing and singing at yesterday's family party. I'm afraid it is going to take a while, but if I get it figured out I will share it in a bit.....and yeah, we do extend the Christmas season a bit most years.


Meanwhile, we were driving home last night, crossing the Mohawk bridge south out of Amsterdam, just as the crows were coming in to the infamous roosts at the east end of the city. 


It was truly surreal, thousands upon thousands of sharply-edged birds twisting and turning in crisp, bright, black against a lemon meringue and peach pie sky, with ink-etching trees on the horizon and gold and silver mirrors reflecting on the river. Wish I could have taken some pics for you but the car was moving in one direction, the birds in the other so all that was left is words. Stay warm....

6 comments:

Keith Wilson said...

See, that's the problem with doing a daily blog!
When you hadn't posted since Jan 13th, Cath and I were worried that something bad had happened. We both have vivid imaginations, and we were coming up with some doozies!

Glad you had a fun day with family.
It's obvious that the cold grip of winter hasn't dampened your spirit.

Next time, please just say "duh" so we know everything is fine in cattle country...

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Ah, but your words say it all! And even better than a photo. I have seen a river of crows from horizon to horizon, all flowing in the same direction, with tributaries joining from both sides. It just amazes me how the word goes forth to signal to all the far-flung crows to come together.

Caroline said...

I love crows in the winter. They favor posing in their ebony black in bare trees against the deep blue of the sky.
We don't get the rivers of them I remember from back east, they seem to gather in smaller family groups here in the Black Hills.
I see a group nearly every morning when I am headed for school about sunrise, they are headed out for their day's work at the same time.

threecollie said...

Keith, I really appreciate it that you thought of us. Things are kind of....I don't know how to say it...in not the best of states, but we are soldiering on. I apologize for not posting..I was just overwhelmed.

WW, that must have been an amazing sight! We saw a lot of raptors yesterday too, and a number of robins.

Caroline, that sounds so cool. they are certainly very dramatic birds.

Cathy said...

That picture will do nicely.

You are always 'present' Marianne.

Lovely.

Shirley said...

A murder of crows, I believe they are called. What a beautiful description.