(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Bird Snob

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bird Snob



I'm not too bad a one I guess.


I don't care for the way imported starlings nest in any opening they find in a building and make a big mess, but I can tolerate them.


 Not too crazy about rock pigeons (, which are really just plain old pigeons, the ones that you see in the park and also nest in barns) but they are beautiful fliers when they fling themselves across the sky just bursting with joy...and they can be kind of pretty tootling around on the ground too.


However, I hate, hate, HATE, English sparrows, or house sparrows if you prefer to be more PC about it. Personally I call them Sassenachs.


The drab little brown interlopers are very different from native birds though....and sneaky old bird snobs can use that to advantage. 


For example, they know I don't like them and they don't linger at the feeder when I go outside. Even the timid little titmice don't fly far, but the Sassenachs are much more wary. If I tap on the window when there is a huge assorted flock at the feeder, only they fly.


However this year a band of them has been marauding the feeders like nasty highwaymen stealing from the chickadee gentry. (Stand and deliver that sunflower seed). 


Being a busy little being I didn't deal with this situation until yesterday. It was sunny and pleasant so I hung the line full of clean laundry. Darned sparrows kept perching in the lilac bushes and then flying straight down that same clothesline to raid the feeder.


You know where that kind of thing leads.


I puzzled for a bit about how to stop them, since I am not fond of doing the laundry twice. Aha! An idea!


I keep a plastic great horned owl swinging in the breeze in the back porch door to keep the little $%%##@ from nesting on the porch.


I took it down and lugged it outside with a bit of old shoe lace and approached the lilac bush where they were perching smugly, waiting for me to go back inside so they could befoul my laundry.


Then they saw the owl. You never saw (or heard) such a commotion. They fled to the top of the tallest cedar tree where they set up an outrageous racket of alarm.


And once I had it swinging merrily in the lilacs, tethered at the top by the shoelace, they left and haven't come back.


I know they will become habituated to the owl and I will either have to move it or think of something else. But for now, revenge is sweet.


And best of all, a steady string of little native birds has continued to use the feeder all day. One bold chickadee even went over to the lilac bushes and sat two feet from the owl, scolding with all its might. Every so often he would glance over at me where I was hanging out more clothes as if to assure me that he had the threat in hand and I was safe from the nasty predator.


***Update, by yesterday evening some of them had figured out how to fly around the house the other way to get to the feeder, so my respite was short if sweet. At least they weren't using my laundry as a flight path.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the owl with the rotating head run by batteries? It works great.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that tip, SGB. I thought I saw one but couldn't decide if it was really moving or I was just seeing things. Good idea.

Ruth said...

hah!

I've not had to much trouble with them here, there's always a couple at the feeder, but never a huge cloud (now that I've said that I'm sure they'll descend!).

Speaking of which I need to make more "suet" to put out, this last cold spell caused them to eat it all...

joated said...

Here in PA there's no season or limit on English Sparrows. THey are considered vermin. I believe that's true in NYS too. Just saying.

Cathy said...

This is hilarious! I consider myself a fairly efficient observer of birds . . and honest to heaven - I just hadn't mentally noted that those danged sparrows fly away immediately on human proximity - unlike some of our native songsters.

Now. I'm sending the following link so that - just for the fun of it - you can submit this post to Bird Watcher's Digest. I think it would be perfect. And if they decline it'll be their and their readers loss.

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/contact.php

Cathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

For some reason I can't get that URL to come up right. I'll try it once again. If it doesn't work just do the google thing.
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/contact.php

Ruth said...

There are a varity of traps designed for starlings and house sparrows, never tried them. I know starlings can be shot on site in NYS, but I've never checked house sparrows....

Jan said...

I wish I had such fun adventures when I hang out clothes.

R.Powers said...

You need an owl with laser sights and a ... well, no, on second thought, I guess that would not really be appropriate.

... never mind.

Caroline said...

Right there with you on the Sassenach thing. I have had them invade my birdhouses and kill sitting tree swallows with a blow to the head. They are evicted by me on a daily basis if I catch them trying to nest.

Jinglebob said...

Just get you a real owl and turn him loose!

threecollie said...

SGB, I haven't but it sounds like a fantastic idea. We have trouble with crows pecking open our ag bags too and we have an owl over there. I'll bet a mechanical one would be even better than the still ones.

Anon, I was delighted to hear of them too

Ruth, I usually don't have a huge number of them, but this year, OMG, they are just awful. I have a whole shelf full of suet off our last beefer though so I am all set there.

Joated, I think that is exactly why I usually don't have very many of them. However, the gentleman who takes care of that for me is spending a lot of his time working in NJ, alas

Cathy, I tried the link, and although I could get to the website, I couldn't figure out how to submit anything, but thank you so much.'

Ruth, yes, they are fair game as unwanted, non-native pests.

Jan, I truly do enjoy hanging them out, although this time of year my finger sure get cold. Just bird watching alone, while working in the yard, is amazing. You can see down over the river to the gulls and geese, up the hill to whatever is flying there, and around the buildings too. Last night while we were feeding a bald eagle flew right over the barnyard, low. It was so cool.

FC, that sounds like a fine idea....lol

Caroline, we can't do much with blue bird houses because of them. In fact I have pretty much given up on trying to keep bluebird houses set out....if they are far enough from the buildings to keep the sparrows out, deer mice get in them and chew them up.


JB, excellent plan! Wish we had more owls around.

Dani, precisely and well said! lol