(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Cold Again

Monday, February 13, 2012

Cold Again





Not the big time cold that you see on the Northern Plains or up in the Land of the Midnight Sun, but a darn sight colder than is comfortable. We have had a remarkably easy winter, with plenty of warmer than normal, sunny days, but I am still ready for it to end. 


The nice days are such a teaser, reminding us of planting and growing things and playing in the garden pond...





Lots of interesting birds and wildlife around now, including a deer that popped right over the fence out of the barnyard when Alan came over the other day.


We saw a bald eagle right over the corner of the barnyard when we were feeding the other night. Looked up and there he was, low, and right over our heads. 


A sharp shinned hawk almost hit me in the head this morning. I was watching where I was walking and didn't even see him, but Liz said that he skimmed right over me. He landed in a nearby tree and she ran for her camera, but he flew just as she got close.


Saw about fifty robins flying west earlier today, along with a bunch of small, very musical birds, whose call I have never heard before and couldn't identify. Very pretty though.


Also saw what looked like an owl flying between the barns this morning at daybreak. I hope so! Having discovered what the mystery animal is that is coming on the kitchen porch and eating the cat food...a skunk...I am hoping that it is a great horned owl and stays for dinner....

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

It's been abnormally warm here since Friday, with temps in the mid-40s over the weekend. We're finally sliding back toward normal (for Alaska) but it's still only 30 this morning ... should be in single digits or maybe low 'teens.

Want to swap?

Terry and Linda said...

We are 51* right now and I'm loving it. I have visions on what I'm going to do in the yard...what needs to be done. I know I have to wait at least two more, maybe three more weeks, but at least the time is closer!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

You are so lucky to have all those critters up close to your home. Well . . . with the exception of that skunk. You really think an owl could take a skunk? Wow.

threecollie said...

Rev. Paul, it has warmed back up into the thirties here....so....

LInda, 51!! That sounds fantastic! We won't be able to do much until at least April and probably May, but we should at least see some crocuses next month....and I am sure ready

Cathy, great horned owls love skunks! I am bringing the cat food inside nights and hoping the little guy doesn't decide to dine in the day time.