(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Sky and Rat

Monday, February 27, 2012

Sky and Rat





Spent the whole day and part of the night yesterday nursing a sick heifer. She is bit brighter today....


Anyhow being out at all hours gave me several chances to appreciate the incredible beauty of last night's sky. The moon was a gleaming waxing crescent with a couple of handy stars or planets clustered around it (Venus was undoubtedly one of them.) 


They looked surreal grouped together like that and early on all the stars were amazingly bright. You almost expected Merlin to step down out of the whirl of them.


This has been a great winter for stars and skies and we have much enjoyed watching.


As to the rat. We put the sick heifer in a sort of greenhouse in the woodshed. I was coming down from tending her, in the dark, with only the light of my fairly pathetic flashlight, when something chirped right beside me.


I thought, "RAT," and spun my light to see. There was a grey thing stretched up the barn upright as high as my hip. My heart leaped into frantic action, bang, bang, bang. The thing was the size of a cat.


Then it chirped again and dug its claws deeper into the wood of the post.


It WAS a cat.


Athena, the grey barn cat that Alan is so fond of.


I think she took a year off my life....maybe even two.



8 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Cats seem especially good at scaring the jeepers out of a person, at night. Durn fuzzballs.

Unknown said...

Hahahaha! " Bad kitty! No cream for you! "

Jeffro said...

Heebie Jeebies! U Haz Them!

Anonymous said...

Our tv weatherman was urging people to look at the night sky and I too saw how wonderful it is. I believe he said it was Venus and Jupiter lined up with the cresent moon. linda

Cathy said...

You spin the best true yarns on the internet.

Unknown said...

Ha Ha I'll bet you aged a few years right then and there!

Terry and Linda said...

The night sky here was delightful also! Then the storms rolled back in...I'm not sure if a night time storm is beautiful or not, but it doesn't matter it came anyway.


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

REv. Paul, she is especially one of THOSE. lol We like her though

Weldrbrat, she was pretty smug

Jeffro, indeed I do!

Linda, last night they lined up again, but all in a row this time. And I am pretty sure Mars was on the other horizon

Cathy, thank you kindly. I am so sorry I am so slow to answer comments. Things are ridiculous here

Tim, I did! I could feel my heart pounding.

Linda, we are getting nailed today and I do mean nailed. this looks like it may be real winter.