(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: LFTB

Thursday, March 29, 2012

LFTB

Pink slime they call it. What a tempest in a tea pot, (although not for the people who lost their jobs or the estimated million and a half cows that will be needed to replace this safe, wholesome product, which has been in use for twenty years.) 




Way to go media activists and agenda-driven celebrities. 


Here are some links:


USDA fact sheet

No process can make an inedible product edible "The resulting product is very low fat
(95+% lean), which many consumers desire.  This process is very similar to the one used to
separate cream from milk." 

Sure the stuff sounds icky, but trust me, many aspects of producing food seem icky. Hot dogs..... And we've been eating it for TWO DECADES without it hurting anybody.


Our so-called "news" has become instead a mess of sensationalist fear mongering and incitement  to meaningless action with not even a hat tip to facts or science. I infinitely prefer the beef we grow for ourselves, but I am not afraid of the darned stuff at all after actually taking time to research it.


Meanwhile, of course I like our homegrown hamburger better. It is already lean....

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Hmmm, I think my problem with it is that its treated (and possibly residue left) and thats not listed on the package. The "pink slime" itself, well, its 100% edible beef, so that doesn't worry me.

Jan said...

I can't remember a time in my long life that something we eat or drink wasn't going to have dire effects on our health.

And never mind what happens to the people who produce them when it all turns out to have no foundation in facts.

Jeffro said...

The actual "pink slime" was chicken trimmings in the first place. There has been a picture of the stuff and accompanying text purporting it as a main ingredient in McNuggets. It was, but in 2003 Mickey D's went to all white meat as the McNugget meat source.

threecollie said...

Ruth, I actually bought into the whole thing at first....then I did some research...I don't think after twenty years it is much of a problem

Jan, you betcha. I feel so sorry for the workers. Not a good time to be laid off

Jeffro, huh, I didn't know that. Thanks