(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Shores of Home

Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Shores of Home




A pair of giant  boots greets me as I walk through the dawnlight kitchen with the Daisy Doodlebop. 

Both my feet would fit in one with room to spare.

A laundry basket that is not mine next to the counter. A baby swing, a lambie rattle, piles of books I have not and will not ever read.

Signs that a family lives here. Our boy is home from the wilds of Washington DC. Peggy perches in the kitchen most days, and Becky keeps her books close and her other books closer.



I read all the time people whining about their grown children moving home for a while due to the bad economy or unexpected circumstances of all sorts. All I can think is, for Heaven's sake, suck it up. Not too many generations ago life was fluid. Family ebbed and flowed around a grandparent center, like seas washing on the shores of home. 

I love it that our kids all come and go. Sometimes it gets crazy, but even when everyone is home this house is so big we still have two empty...well, unoccupied, they are far from empty....bedrooms. There is room for everybody and some to spare.

Everybody is gainfully employed and doing their part to keep America moving and growing. Building, fixing, feeding and cleaning up our country. Nuts and bolts jobs of which Mike Rowe would approve, with skills that are being lost all too quickly, as people walk away from the land and the tools that tame it.




And I get to play and flirt with dear Miss Peggy, who has recently discovered that she has feet, which never get lost unlike her binkie and bear, which elude her baby reach a hundred times a day. Feet are always right there handy to play with if she gets bored.

Life is good.

7 comments:

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Well, said!

And thanks for the Peggy fix :) XOXO

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

I agree with throwback. I need that Peggy fix!
Love
Mom

Breezey375 said...

I feel someone is insinuating that I have perhaps too many books. I disagree with that sentiment.

Terry and Linda said...

I love this post. My youngest and her husband and my three darling grandchild leave Thursday for that land far away, Craig, Colorado ( I know it's only 3 hours away, but still.)

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

Perfect. Beautiful in ways that most people may only dream of.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

What goes around comes around. Well-loved children are well-loving children, and such a delight to have close by. You are blessed, indeed.

threecollie said...

Nita, happy to oblige, thanks

Mom, she is such a dear. Love you!

Becky, books, what books?

Linda, I know, I thought of what you and Terry are going through as I was writing it. It is hard for me when Alan is far away so much of the time...and so nice when he is home, despite the turmoil.

Cathy, thanks, it is.

Jacqueline, I often feel that way...I really do. Thanks