(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: How can it Be

Friday, August 21, 2015

How can it Be


That we are blessed with so much grace?

Butterflies have always puddled in the road behind the barn...in other places too, but I could always count on finding a dozen or so of the little yellow jobs with pink edges and eyes like tennis balls sipping the ground over there.

However, this year has been insane for butterflies. Great big blue and black ones that I think are Red-spotted Purples dance over the fields. Your usual Cabbage Whites, Skippers, a Great Spangled Frittilary here and there, and many others that I can't name (could anyone suggest a good field guide?) fly everywhere you look.

One day Beck was feeling low and went to the barn and was surrounded by dozens floating all around her....instant cheer on wings.



Last night even the boss remarked on them so we all went over for a look. There were quite a few but it was too dark for photos.




Today Peggy is with her other gramma and things are very quiet here, so I took a walk up behind the barn to see how many had come after last night's rain.

The answer to that question




Thousands

I counted over fifty Checkerspots in six feet of road....just one side. The yellow ones were not as thick as some years but there were plenty....plus lots of others.

I don't know how we rate to have so many, but we are sure enjoying them.

***Anyone who knows butterflies, please feel free to chime in with species....


9 comments:

joated said...

Could it be that all those years of having cows--and their liquid waste--are paying unexpected dividends? I know for a fact that butterflies will come to extract the minerals from the soil.

jan said...

Sounds like the land equivalent to swimming with the dolphins.

Terry and Linda said...

WOW! I've never seen so many. I like you statement...instant cheer!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

Alright! Unbelievable. Now the movie! Gotta get his on Youtube !!!!

threecollie said...

Joated, I am sure that is the reason why they congregate where they do. Lots and lots of leftovers. lol There are so many now though.

Jan, yeah, about as close as we can get.

Linda, we are having a lot of fun with them. I dug your plants. Gonna mail tomorrow.

Cathy, I might give it a try.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

I have occasionally seen dozens of butterflies accumulated on piles of horse manure, busily sipping the minerals concentrated within. I would assume your barnyard would be a banquet for butterflies because of all the years of manure deposited there. Even when the manure is removed, the minerals have leached into the soil.

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, I am sure you are right, and it is a phenomenon we have long enjoyed. However, this year the number of butterflies is simply over the top amazing. Sure is fun!

Cathy said...

You must have a magic wand somewhere. Your place is truly a beautiful fantasy land.

Cathy said...

I'm not going to stop until I get 'em. Videos uploaded to Youtube. Those butterflies coming and going . . . Wow.