(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: 150

Wednesday, December 06, 2017

150

Ring-billed Gull, so common as to form gigantic swirls in the sky over the river
and massive rafts on the sand and gravel bars there.

It's the little things....delicious Stewart's eggnog in that first cup of coffee. A sleepy jay calling from the Winesap tree just before dawn...no skunk so taking the doggies out is less fraught with peril.....little things, but welcome none the less.

Seeing 150 birds in your home county in a year. I know, I know, that is a pretty sad total compared to some of the knowledgeable and dedicated better birders out there. But for me, walking our own land and hitting a couple of area hot spots when the boss has time to take me...well, it's a big deal, at least here in my head.

I noticed the other day that the dark-winged gull we'd been seeing at Schoharie Crossing, hanging with Ring-billed Gulls, and Herrings, seemed small in comparison to the light-backed gulls around it. The normal dark gull for the area in winter is the Great Black-backed Gull, which is huge even in comparison to the Herring Gulls, which are pretty big in their own right.

I asked the experts and sure enough, it was a Lesser Black-backed gull, not terrifically rare, but uncommon enough and a first for me. There were only three reported on the state rare bird alert today so....

I guess I could just stop now and be content....but I am not going to. As soon as the sun comes up I will most likely head up the hill.....

Lesser Black-backed Gull, the little guy in the middle

3 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

For you, it's birds, and for me, it's plants, but I share your delight in discovering the rare and delighting in the familiar. I do love birds, but my eyesight is so bad I can't see them well enough to ID. I do love birding by ear, however. And I also love reading your blog and sharing your enthusiasm for the many natural wonders that surround us every day.

Terry and Linda said...

LIke you I am never content to just stay in the house. Also we are the lucky ones...our own land to walk upon!

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, I think of you so often when I see a plant I can't identify. I find them fascinating, but just don't have the knowledge or even enough of the basics to get started. My eyes aren't the best either, but Ralph often spots them for me and then I grab the binoculars. lol

Linda, I am staying in this morning to catch up on some work, but I sure would like to be out. Cold but lovely!