(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: It's all a Scam

Sunday, April 08, 2018

It's all a Scam


You know, that whole butter wouldn't melt in their beaks, cover of kindergartners' coloring books thing and all?

Yeah, that is fake news. Robins are the most combative, aggressive, battle-loving birds you can imagine. It's a wonder they don't wear kilts and clan tartan, so fiercely do they make war every day.

Right now it's time for them to work out who gets the best spots on the Northview Farm eaves, branches, porches etc. and they are going at it hammer and tongs...or should I say beaks and feathers?

I was standing in the driveway at just about dawn, trying to get a photo of a large bird in the distant hedgerow (crow, alas) when something brushed right past my leg with a whoop and a flutter. I mean they were THAT close!

Two male American Robins, so engrossed in fighting that they didn't even notice me. They went INSIDE the upturned lawn fertilizer spreader (!!!) to continue the fight. 

What a clatter. 

I could hear them in there right at my feet and wondered if I should tip it up so they could escape.

But no, after a few more curses and mutters they emerged, the victor spitting feathers and acting like he was all that and a bucket of rice.

I had to laugh.

3 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

It's always so stunning to see birds fight like that. Your description had me laughing (and on the edge of my seat)

Cathy said...

Only you my friend could take an observations like the one I had a couple days ago and turn it into an "I gotta read this to my hubby" routine.
Thank you, thank you:)
P.S. The two I saw fighting were so into it that for a few seconds I thought they were tangled up in some string or something in my backyard leaves.

threecollie said...

Linda, there are so many robins hanging around this spring and fighting over territory that I barely look up when I hear the musical screeching. As thrushes they don't seem to be able to make a discordant sound, but they sure try! lol

Cathy, thank YOU! I have missed you over the long, dreary winter. I have missed my brain too and am glad to find that it seems to be returning from migration, not unlike all those combative robins. lol