(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: A Good Mistake

Sunday, July 29, 2018

A Good Mistake

Cliff Swallows

Although, thanks to one of the county's finest birders, we know where to find and count Cliff Swallows each year, photographing them is a whole 'nother ball game. The place where they are known to nest is on a scary busy road. Stopping to point the camera can be life threatening.

And then...

The other day I rode up to L J Hands with the boss to get some paint to mark the wood pile at his cousin's house. Someone is pilfering when no one is there so.....

On the wire in front of the store were five swallows. A quick glance marked them as Barn Swallows, another species of which I had no photos....point, click, and then off to look and listen for other interesting birds to make a short list while the boss got his paint.

There was even a Wild Turkey crossing the road next to the parking lot....really you can bird anywhere......

Imagine my surprise when I took the photos off the camera a couple of days later and found that four of the five birds were indeed Cliff Swallows. Score!

Immature Barn Swallow...short tail with fleshy gape still visible at the corner of the beak

4 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

SCORE!!! I would have not known the difference!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

So glad you got your bird! I can imagine the satisfaction it brings you, similar to what I feel when I find and photograph a flower that is new to me.

Unknown said...

Can you drop me a line a mail4john2@yahoo.com. Your photos are great and I wanted to pass along a comment in regards to some of the photos you posted in ebirds. Keep up the great birding in Schoharie County.

threecollie said...

Linda, gave me a nice chuckle when I saw the photos. After chasing pics all summer...lol

Jacqueline, I do love your plant information and photos. I wish I retained what I learn in that respect a little better.

John, done, and thanks. Hope I haven't messed up too many IDs