(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Skylines

Monday, July 22, 2019

Skylines


I wrote from camp the other day of the micro burst that took out a couple of our Blue Spruce trees along the driveway. 

Turns out that a lot more than a couple were laid completely flat, all in, all done.  at least 8 or 10 are gone, maybe more. Tall vegetation hides the stumps, but nothing will hide the gaps. The row looks like meth teeth, although thankfully, the biggest, strongest, favoritest trees survived.

Then when I was walking Mack this morning I realized that the something-not-quite-right feeling I had been having was not just because limbs from the honey locust flat wrecked a bunch of my flower beds....no, it was more.

The wind also took down the ancient dead elm that towered behind the heifer barn. I am most glad that it must have fallen into the creek and not onto the barn...no damage done.

But I will miss it so much. It was the first place I looked on bird hunts as its high bare branches provided a perch for Bald Eagles, crows, grackles, assorted vultures, hawks, and all the big guys of the air. Plus all the little passerines used it as a sound stage for love songs and threats of territorial vengeance. 

I have no right to complain. This farm is home to hundreds of trees.....three woodlands, many hedgerows, and bits and bunches of them everywhere. And nothing is static in nature...nothing.

Still, I miss them....gonna to take a while to get used to the new skylines. 

4 comments:

Cathy said...

" . . . . Plus all the little passerines used it as a sound stage for love songs and threats of territorial vengeance. "

You always create poetry . . even when your heart is broken.
I too, am struggling with the vicissitudes of nature. . of life . . .
Somehow it helps to find the phrases - the words - that express the heart's and head's experience of it all.

threecollie said...

Thank you, Cathy, as you may have guess I love words. lol. Sorry to read that things are going hard for you. I think of you pretty much every day....

Terry and Linda said...

I love Old Standing People also, it makes my heart sad to lose them also.

threecollie said...

Linda, I am trying not to let it get to me, but even our sleep is disturbed by the absence of the big spruces, which cut noise from the interstate.