(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Am I seeing Things?

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Am I seeing Things?

Deer vs cat

We were out looking for birds yesterday morning and we had just passed a Great Blue Heron perched atop a power pole, which was odd enough

Then I burst out laughing and shook my head in disbelief.

Tables turned

The boss asked what I saw but I was laughing so hard I had a hard time telling him.

What I thought was a Wild Turkey out in a field with some late-lingering deer was a little black cat.

And one of the deer was following it across the field pretty much like a duckling after its mother.




The boss wanted to see it too, so we turned around, although we figured it would be all over by the time we got back there. However, the deer, the kitty hawk, as we call them when we see them out hunting in the wild, and a whole lot of other deer were still at it.

I grabbed some quick photos and we got out of there, as although it isn't a busy road, traffic does proceed at warp speed most of the time.



To my amazement when I got home to look at the photos, the reason the tableau was still in place was that the deer and cat were taking turns chasing each other. I'll let you judge for yourself what was going on, but I would call it play.

***You will probably need to click on these to see them...taken at great distance and through the wrong side car window. Sorry.



5 comments:

Denny144 said...

I have no idea what’s going on but it’s definitely amusing.

Terry and Linda said...

I think like you...they were Playing! How neat that is!

threecollie said...

Denny, so much happens when we aren't watching! We often find things up in our fields that the coyotes play with, such as soda bottles or chewed up gloves.

Linda, it sure was fun to watch.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

What an amazing thing to witness! Especially for animals so different in size. We have a box elder tree just outside our kitchen window that serves as a squirrel gym and feeding station, and we also support 3 to 5 neutered feral cats, whom we feed on our kitchen steps. And sometimes the squirrels and the cats chase each other up and down the box elder in an obviously playful manner, and it's a scream to see the tricks the squirrels play on the cats.

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, I would love to see your Marx Brothers squirrels! Ralph and I are so privileged to have time enough to get out and see all that we do. I never, ever watch television as it has nothing to compare to what is happening outside our windows and beyond our doors.