(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Let's all Point and Laugh..or maybe just Cry.....

Monday, February 17, 2020

Let's all Point and Laugh..or maybe just Cry.....

Widely divergent

When I was a yearling a president was elected who said, "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."

At that period in my life I thought that my paternal grandfather was the president, partly because his first and second names were Theodore and Roosevelt and partly because he looked a lot like the gentleman responsible for the above quote. (I guess the only resemblance was that they were both bald, but hey, I was a little kid.) Plus he was a pretty important man in my life, always willing to let me sit on his lap at the kitchen table while he drew stick horses for me. Oh, how I loved that guy.

Nowadays, however, the folks who feed the world....literally feed the world...plus grow fiber, care for land, livestock, families, and communities, are not quite as well considered by those in power.

Check out the contrast between the first quote and this one, from a surging candidate in the current presidential race.


"I could teach anybody, even people in this room no offense intended, to be a farmer. It’s a process. You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the corn.”


I could point out soil testing, seed varieties, weather, excess water, lack of water, fertilizers, weed control, and a daunting number of other factors involved in growing corn. Then there are the other myriad crops and animals raised by farmers and pests and plagues and problems that they face each day. Plus functioning in a global economy that places little value on their efforts.


We don't have land grant colleges for nothing. Farming is complicated and becoming ever more so.


For 20 points and a virtual Willkie button
, who was responsible for these widely divergent statements about farming?


And here is a virtual Willkie button
sent to me by my mother.
Thanks, Mom!

6 comments:

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

Here you are Marianne. This is on my desk. Love Mom

Terry and Linda said...

I just came from the dentist who commented...it doesn't take much to raise cattle, just stick them in the field and let them have calves.

I couldn't help myself: "Really?" I asked. "Do you raise cattle?" No, he replied, but his house butts us to a hayfield and that is all that farmer does...raise hay in the summer and put cows on the field who have calves. Easy Peasy.

I was stunned. "Hummmm", I replied with his fingers in my mouth. Of course, I couldn't talk right then; probably a good thing. I really needed to tooth fixed. :)

threecollie said...

Mom, got it and thanks! Love you!

Linda, that just makes me sick! I would like to see him up to his shoulder in a calving cow, trying desperately to bring up a turned back head, or to get a hold of a leg that is somewhere it shouldn't be. Then he might be marginally qualified to have an opinion on how easy it is!

Terry and Linda said...

Very true. So sad anymore

1LLoyd said...

City boys always think they are smarter than they really are. He needs to get out on a farm.

threecollie said...

LInda, there are too few of us.....

1Llyod, he does indeed and for long enough to see some corn grown.