(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: It must have been Magic

Sunday, June 07, 2020

It must have been Magic


First, as I was watering plants at around 4:30...hey, it's almost light out then...a Yellow-billed Cuckoo sounded off in the yard. Awesome to have had both potential species of cuckoo right in the yard this year. Liz and I heard a Black-billed last week. Nabbed a short recording too.

Then when the boss got up he took me up to a swamp on Pavlus Road that never lets me down. I was enjoying the many local birds when a female Eastern Bluebird landed in a tree right next to the little parking place. She was gorgeous and I snapped some photos.

What do you think dear?
Does this twig go with the curtains?


Just as I turned away the male appeared and I realized that they were working on a nest in a dead tree just a few feet from where we park the car.

I am hoping they continue there and that I catch a glimpse of their brood if they have one.

The Missus


With a last winnow of a Wilson's Snipe we headed for another favorite pond. Alas that one is posted now, and the nice man who gave us permission to bird there has passed away. Thus we parked out on the verge of the road and peered in from there.

Forgot to put this guy in first time around...Common Gallinule


It is always a magical spot, but when not one but two Common Gallinules swam out of the cattails and paraded by I was spellbound.

Not to mention really happy as I hadn't seen one yet this year.

There are regular turtles with only one head at Lyker's too
Lots of them


And the day went on like that. We managed to get six nice tomatoes yesterday and I was out planting two of them when the Purple Finches brought the kids in to the feeder. It seems pretty special to have them breed right down by the driveway.

Perhaps the high point of the day though was the two-headed turtle at Lyker's Pond. You see something like that and it makes you reflect on the magic of nature.....

Photo below.....





4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Great shots, as always. :)

Terry and Linda said...

Your photos and words are poetry.

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

Very nice two headed turtle. Love, Mom

threecollie said...

Rev, Paul, thank you so much! I have a lot of fun taking photos of our world.

Linda, thank you, as above, it is the best sort of fun

Mom, isn't she cute? The pond was so still that day. Usually the wind is tearing at it as it sits east and west. Love you