(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Recommended Reading

Sunday, November 08, 2020

Recommended Reading


 

I'm reading this for about the fourth time I think. Maybe fifth. Other books by the same author used to be available in our local library and I read them too. Looks like a romance, doesn't it? And there is certainly a thread of that through the story.

However, mostly it is historical, in a fictional kind of way, but well-researched and interested as heck.

Set in 1798, it deals with the Alien and Sedition Acts, the Pirate Wars, and the operation of  Pennsylvania iron furnaces to create stove plates, pig iron, and cannon balls from locally-mined ore. 

Although I am again enjoying the storyline, despite the tiny print, the main takeaway is what many people are saying today. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it....or to watch others do so. 

This story is so uncannily like what's happening today that...well....it's uncanny. If you're local and want to read it I could maybe lend you my copy....

No comments: