(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Owling

Monday, January 18, 2021

Owling

 


As is the case with every other aspect of life, the plague has influenced our ability to go owling. Some days we have responsibilities. Some days we have no heart for it.

Thus we have yet to see or hear a single owl this year. No Short-eared Owls out on Lynk Street. No Great Horned out at Lyker's. Not a single Barred Owl peering nearsightedly down from roadside twigs and branches.

And nothing here at home. I go out almost every evening and every single morning to stand and listen. In fact, I just came in from breathing quietly out in the darkness as large soft flakes whispered down and the traffic growled on the Thruway. 

Not a sound.

Nope.

Nothing.

Kinda fitting somehow.



7 comments:

aurora said...

When the time feels right I truly hope you head out to search and find an owl, or it finds you. No doubt it would be uplifting.

I find owls so hard to spot, and baffled why we don't seem to have any around us. Trying to learn more about habits and habitat. Was on the road for a good four hours last week looking for Snowy's, after a reported sighting in a wildlife reserve. Didn't find one, but spotted my first Short Eared Owl hunting at sunset. A few vehicles quickly joined me, also searching for Snowy's. A kind knowledgeable women helped me with ID. Way too far to do often, but I was so happy to see something for my efforts besides crows.

Terry and Linda said...

The Big-Horned Owls are here now. They are such a nice part of winter, like you they are a lovely part of winter.

threecollie said...

Aurora, Ralph had one right out at the wood stove this morning, but when he called me to come out it was gone. Glad you got a Shorty, good luck on finding a Snowy.

Linda, We keep looking for owls, but so far only Ralph has found one.

ellie k said...

We used to enjoy hearing the whipper wills at night in Ohio. I am sure there is another name but that is what I called them from childhood. I have never heard one here in Florida,

threecollie said...

Ellie, Whippoorwills have declined dramatically wherever they are found, due it is thought to encroaching development and loss of grassland habitat that edges up against woods. I haven't heard one in at least thirty-five years, not for the lack of listening. We have excellent habitat for them, here on the farm, but they are just not here.

aurora said...

That is great that you have owls around you!! Hope you get to see it next time it is hanging around looking for a snack. It was fun watching the Short Eared hunt, sadly I didn't get a good photo. One of these years I hope to make the 6-ish hour trip and hang out a few days at Sax-Zim Bog in Minnesota. It is a birding haven. No clue what people are using for photo equipment or how far away the owls are, but the photos are stunning. Also wanted to add, we have Whipporwills off/on in WI! I love hearing the little guys sing.

threecollie said...

Aurora, I hope you do get to go to Sax-Zim. I have never been but I have read about it and seen many incredible photos of the birds there! It would be awesome to hear a Whippoorwill again. It has been at least thirty-five years, probably more, since I have heard one around here. Used to be quite common.