(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Mysteriouser and Mysteriouser

Sunday, February 07, 2021

Mysteriouser and Mysteriouser

 

American Black Duck

*Update Our mysterious benefactor was someone that I had not thought of. It was a kind and sweet gesture in honor of the folks, who were eager birders themselves. Profound thanks from all of us here at Northview.

But amazingly kind.

Yesterday I was on the verge of running out of sunflower seeds. No nyger seed in the house either, as we haven't been able to find any in weeks.



We had all been home most of the afternoon, but had just come in from bringing Becky home from work and were going out for a spin looking for winter birds when....

Much to my amazement when I went out on the porch there was a huge bag of sunflower seeds and the biggest sack of nyger seed that has ever come through our door. 


Common Redpolls

No one at the house had a clue. No one I asked knew either. However, I have an idea who the birdie benefactor may have been...although he usually stops for a visit. Probably something else we can chalk up to Covid (and entirely understandable).

If it was indeed him, thank you a million times. It was great fun to go out to fill the feeders this morning and have nice fresh seed for our flying neighbors.


Cranky Carolina Wren

If it was someone else, thank you just as much. What a wonderful, if mysterious treasure to find on the porch on a chilly winter afternoon. 

***And in other news, will I finally see or hear an owl today, so that I can call it Superb Owl Day?


Common Redpoll

3 comments:

aurora said...

How thoughtful, from one birder to another!! I braved our frigid temps (-17F this morning) to refill my half empty feeders yesterday. I usually wait until empty, but it's so cold. Gives me joy to see birds finally eating from my feeders! Crazy how different bird preferences are from our old house only 25 min away. I couldn't keep my thistle feeder full there, as well as my peanut feeder. Here I end up dumping the thistle and refilling with fresh, and gave up on my peanut feeder. After two years, I took it down and stopped buying peanuts. While I was watching yesterday's flock included cardinals, junco's, yellow and house finches, black capped chickadees, and a downy woodpecker sharing all together. Haven't gone back out looking for owls. Hope you have a Super Owl post soon!!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Nice friend, indeed! And you get Redpolls! I haven't seen those at my feeders since we lived in Ann Arbor,Michigan. Left Ann Arbor in 1970.

threecollie said...

aurora, it was such a warm and welcome surprise. Thanks on the owls. Rising gas prices are going to force us to curtail that fun for a bit, which makes me sad. Guess I'll just stand in the back yard in the dark and hope to hear a Great Horned up on the hill. Good luck to you if you go out again.

Jacqueline, we used to see them routinely every winter but they have been scarce of late until this year. Saw at least fifty in one flock yesterday.