(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Ask Not

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Ask Not

 


Early morning, sun just boiling its way through dirty cotton clouds of grey.

Walking the Mackster, clad in reindeer robe and knock-off crocs, chatting with my brother far away.

When the whistle blew down at the firehouse in town. 

It sounded urgent and scary and like mothers do I catalogued the locations of offspring and loved ones. As far as I knew everyone was in a safe place, so I said a small prayer for whomever the bell was tolling and went back to chatting.

Went inside, made coffee, and was stuffing my pockets full of the detritus of a woman who was raised with Boy Scouts and needs to be prepared at all times. Plus a mask, which is a relatively recent addition to the Swiss army knife, shepherd's whistle, hair clip, etc.

When Mack started alarming.

It wasn't the frantic BARK!! BARK!! BARK!!! that signifies the arrival of the dreaded Ren...he is terrified of her and lets us know whenever she is on the prowl.

Nope it was the "KATIE BAR THE DOOR"  bark that indicates someone outside.

I shushed the little beggar (hopefully without unnecessary profanity) and told him, "There's no one there you fool."



Then I looked out the kitchen window.

Well, who's the fool now! It was a volunteer fireman and a state trooper (!!!!!)

Someone had reported smoke coming down the hill from here. I assured them that I had just gone in the house and was in the yard when the whistle blew and if there was smoke I would have seen it.

Not sure they believed me, but I told them I was sorry they were called out for nothing and they went on their way. I surely hope it was just a mistake and that one of our neighbors isn't facing something bad. When you live in a small town live this even people whom you don't know are neighbors and you worry about them. 

And boy, oh, boy, am I ever glad that I was dressed in something other than a ratty old green reindeer bathrobe when the neighbors who watch over us and keep us safe showed up.



7 comments:

Shirley said...

Nice moon shot! I think when they say this is the pink moon they really mean the golden moon, that's what colour it looked over here too.
better to have a smoke report called in and be a false alarm than not called in and be real!

threecollie said...

Shirley, I agree about the moon. Not very pink, but more a golden yellow. And yes, I was very grateful for the false alarm and to the men who dropped everything to come check. The fireman I spoke with had just gotten in at 4:30 AM from a fire in a nearby small city. Not much sleep for the poor fellow.

joated said...

The name Pink Moon has to do with some flower-- I believe it is phlox-- that is opening right about now.

Glad it was just a cautionary check that turned out to be nothing much.

Cathy said...

I surely do understand your pocket contents and this - " am I ever glad that I was dressed in something other than a ratty old green reindeer bathrobe"

At least, though - you'd 'a been covered in that reindeer bathrobe! I've had the doorbell ring - - - wearing far less :-D

Funny about sirens . . what they do to your level of alert . . your sense of things.

threecollie said...

Joated, I did read that somewhere about the pink moon thing....seems kinda weird but then a lot of things do these days. lol. I too was glad that it wasn't something a lot worse than and early morning surprise. Sure felt sorry for the fire guy though. He must have been exhausted!

Cathy, lol. There is a bit less of me than there was in previous years so I am VERY well covered in that old robe. I will never part with it if given a choice. Had it probably 30 years and it is still thick and fleecy, very very warm, and goes around me nearly twice. lol. I hate hearing the sirens. Feel bad for the men and woman who have to answer the call and for those in need of their help and care.

Terry and Linda said...

I'm glad you and yours and your farm are all safe. Fire...never good EVER

threecollie said...

Linda, and today it's the wind! Just had Ralph move the car away from the trees. We have to get a tree service in soon to get the honey locust cut down to about 10 feet before we lose more of it!