(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: In Peace

Saturday, June 19, 2021

In Peace

 

Paradise to a city kid

I remember being a little scared when my aunt started dating him. She was a rock in my quicksand world and I was worried that she might shift away from me.

Instead of that he swiftly became another solid place to lean when times got shaky, a mentor, a friend, and like a second father all my life.


The barn where I learned to love farming

I learned to love farming and respect farmers in my deepest heart, running tame on his family's farm, playing in the creek and jumping out of the haymow in late summer. Falling asleep to the call of the Whippoorwills and waking to the songs of the robins. It was paradise to a city kid with a wild love of animals and a deep need for the outdoors and a peaceful place to learn and grow. I loved it there and I loved the people who made it feel safe and welcoming.

After I was all raised up and turned loose on the world, married to my own sturdy farmer and reveling in it, it was a thing of great joy and satisfaction to talk cows and fields and weather with him.



I learned so very much from him, not least what a great work ethic and a real interest in other people looks like. When you talked to him you knew he was really listening and cared about your thoughts and words.

He left this world yesterday after a long, hard struggle and left a lot of empty hearts behind him. It is often said when someone passes that they left the world a better place than they found it....with my Uncle Rich it is true for so very many people....he is going to be missed.




6 comments:

Shirley said...

A beautiful tribute... my condolences to you and his family. Having a mentor like that is truly a blessing.

Terry and Linda said...

That was beautiful. Just beautiful.

mmontgo1 said...

Amen.

threecollie said...

Thank you all....

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Another loss to bear! I am so sorry. Your heart has hardly had time to heal from so many other griefs. Your description of childhood days with him brought many similar memories to MY mind, of my grandparents' farm, their barn made fragrant from apples and alfalfa, the strawberries warm from the garden and so soft they truly melted in my mouth, and my grandma making room for me on her bench overlooking the lake at sunset, the two of us sitting in silence,shoulders touching, as we watched the lake exchange colors with the sky. In time, we still feel the loss of them, but more the joy of having had these loving people in our lives, especially when we desperately needed being loved by them.

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, what beautiful memories! How wonderful that you have them and can take them out to comfort you still today. Our family has taken an awful beating over the past year, but I am grateful for the memories as well. Sure miss my mom and dad and all the aunts and uncles and cousins though.