(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Rarest Bird I have ever Seen

Wednesday, October 06, 2021

The Rarest Bird I have ever Seen

 


Had some problems around the place this morning, but we more or less either solved or shelved them for a more fortuitous day...mostly shelved.

The boss suggested going birding. I was like, "Where?" I've mostly been birding at home lately as warblers and sparrows are migrating and this is pretty much as good a place as any.

He said, "You're gonna think I'm nuts."

"Where?" 

"A reservoir."

"Which one? Sacandaga? Beardsley?"

"Nope."

"Which one?"

"Cobleskill."

"Nah, it's too muddy. Remember last time we went when it rained? You almost fell. Let's go to Schoharie Creek Preserve."

So we did. 



And then to Sara Lib Road Quarry. Had a good time, didn't see any thrillers. Just got back into the car when What's App chimed in with a bird alert from HM Bird Club.

OMG, OMG, OMG 

One of the really good birders we have met and much enjoyed had found a Barnacle Goose at the exact reservoir where the boss suggested going. 

Cobleskill.

Thanks to the finder, his co-finder, and a really nice local birder who has put me on several super good birds over the years, (and who waited with his scope when he certainly had more important things to do than wait for me,) not only did I see it, but also got some photos.

If my interpretation of the ABA rarity code is right, it is the rarest bird I have ever seen.

A huge thank you to David, Mark, and John, for finding and sharing the bird, and for making sure I got on it. Sure made up for all the bad stuff this morning.


Rescued this little guy from the road at Schoharie Creek
Preserve. Cute little critter




9 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

We don't have turtles here, that is a pretty turtle. I'm so glad you got to see a Very Rare Bird.

threecollie said...

Hi Linda, thanks. That is a young Eastern Painted Turtle. He was crossing the road and I moved him just before a car came by.

Shirley said...

Very cool seeing such a rare bird!
That is a tiny turtle. We have Painted Turtles here but they are about twice that size.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Oh boy, oh boy,oh boy, do I know how exciting that bird was for you! What a lifer for you! Did you break into a little dance, high-fiving everybody in range? How good of that man to wait for you with his scope. I think birders, like some plant-nuts I've known, like to share their finds with other enthusiasts who appreciate the rarity of their finds. I hope you floated on air for the rest of the day.

threecollie said...

Shirley, I still can barely get my mind around it. Because of life circumstance we can't chase the mega rarities, which is fine. We have a lot of fun intensely birding around home. To have a bird this rare, found by friends, in a county where we bird quite often was amazing. To be halfway there birding at the exact right time was a super bonus. I am still stoked! lol

Jacqueline, I didn't. I did however, press so many thanks on the gentlemen who were so kind to me that they probably wished I would just shut up and go away. lol. I was so dumbfounded by our good fortune that I forgot my usual happy dance. It was pretty cool to read the national ABA rare bird alert and see one of my lists there.

aurora said...

Glad your day turned around, and with a rare find. Those are unique markings! Birding is more fun when shared with others. I haven't gone looking for any birds to photograph for a while now. I should look for those still migrating, if things ever settle down.

Thought of you when the Sandhill cranes came back in our pastures last week. One of many posts I hope to share yet this Fall.

threecollie said...

Aurora, how I would love to enjoy those Sandhill Cranes with you. I am always so excited when we see some. They are pretty uncommon here, although a pair nested successfully in the county to the north of us this summer. Another birder found them and we were lucky enough to see them a few days later.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

What a thrill indeed, to find such a rare bird! I'm glad to know that birders are as generous about sharing their finds with other birders, so all can be thrilled together. Plant people tend to be a bit more secretive, sharing their rare finds only with others who can be trusted not to poach them. I'm sure it would be very difficult to poach and confine a Barnacle Goose! Congratulations.

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, it is still exciting to me. Last night the man who found it suggested that I submit a report to the NY Avian Records Committee, which I had never done before. How cool is that?