(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Venus Rising

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Venus Rising


She emerges
from the dark horizon and slips silently up through the trees to the east if I stand in the backyard early enough.

Except for the traffic it is silent out here, although traffic is the sworn enemy of quiet, and not an early birder's best friend either.

Still, as the sky begins to blush with just the tiniest hint of apricot creamsicle, a woodcock makes his presence known and then another follows. And there you have it. Reason enough to be watching a distant planet slowly pop up among the passing jets and waning stars, even if it is colder outside than the inside of the refrigerator.



I mean, seriously, imagine having a fat sandpiper swirling around your backyard playing a tune with the wind that whistles through his wings, just barely audible over the sound of trucks and planes and trains. Imagine two of them.

The darkness melts slowly away, the buildings rising out of it as if a tide receded. Whadda ya know? They were there all along.

I learned this morning that robins seem to have a four-note contact call that they all mutter from their assorted sleeping places, somewhat as if they were clearing their throats before beginning their songs. I can tell where each one roosted last night and count them easily before the chorus begins and the voices all merge.

The Song Sparrows chime in, a Carolina Wren whinges about his tea kettle, and Venus breaks above the tree line.

And it gets too cold for this old lady. There is coffee indoors and none out here, and no more hearing of woodcocks over the raucous dawn chorus.

So I go in to partake and wonder. Is that thing I hear that sounds like screeching metal out near the wood stove, a female Barred Owl solicitation call or a nightmare neighing in the dark? I only hear it ONCE each time I go backyard owling, so I may never know...but hey, it's fun to wonder.




6 comments:

Cathy said...

Dear Marianne.

I thought I was good with words. But this piece . . essay . . . . poem . . . . meditation . . .

Words. Fail.

If your experience there in the morning . . your visual/mental/emotional take on matters floating forth . . . . .were broadcast across this planet..

It would be such a better . . . beautiful . . . happier world.

Amen.

Terry and Linda said...

You have Robins!!! I don't have any yet! I keep looking and listening. Soon! Very soon.
I love your post and your photos!
LOVE IT!

Shirley said...

Beautifully written. Ok I didn't know about the robin's 4 note wake up call, now I am going to have to listen for it in the pre dawn chorus- they have been singing their li'l hearts out for a week now.

threecollie said...

Cathy, you ARE good with words. Very, very good indeed. In fact I am still reading a few of your poems every day and enjoying them greatly. Also, whoever did the layout of your book did a fantastic job! Very evocative. And thank you very much for your kind words!

Linda, we have them pretty much year round, just more in the warmer months. They hang around all winter eating sumac berries, crabapples, etc. and travel around in often quite large flocks. I would trade you a few thousand for some Sandhill Cranes. lol. And thank you!

Shirley, It could be five notes...not sure, and didn't think to record it, sadly. It was really neat though. All around the yard and buildings little voices muttered those little note, then sharp cheeping began, and then they all burst out in song. It was worth getting cold!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Oh, what an amazing description of a birder's dawn vigil! The shining planet, too, and the changing dawn light as the various birds make their presence known! Thank you for sharing this wondrous morning.

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, thank you so much. I love going out as the sun comes up...it is the best time of day for me.