(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Well, Hi There

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Well, Hi There

 


Been a long time since I posted here, I see...Real life keeps me busy these days, although at the end of the day I often wonder just what I did with my time.

Mostly take pictures, grow stuff, care for Peggy and chase birds I guess. And cook, because my peeps like to eat. 

The Amish farm stands abound with great vegetables for excellent prices, so didn't the big freezer STB? Why, yes, yes it did.

So we distributed the food among the other freezers, leaving no room atall for either me or Liz to freeze for winter. I think all it really needs is to be moved where there is more air circulation, but that is a pretty major project. We grabbed some corn from Logan Beck's farm the other day and I sneaked three quarts into the house freezer. Somebody eat those freeze pops so I can fit more!

Because of the freezer situation we eat all the tomatoes rather than freezing them as sauce, which is not entirely a bad thing. I made spaghetti and meatballs with Alan's homegrown beef and our own maters the other night and it was a win and a half. And they just keep coming...


Personal jungle, anyone?

Our yard and garden messy are by most standards, but I just can't resist a volunteer. Orange mint and golden lemon balm sprawl all over everything. I lost all my orange mint entirely a couple of years ago and had to find more, which was a real challenge. It is not terribly common. If you are local and would like some, just holler. I use it for almost everything, so I just let 'er rip and there is plenty.

 Then I accidentally missed an entire bulb of garlic when I dug it last year. To my surprise and delight it sprouted and grew SEVEN bulbs of the nicest garlic I have ever grown. We are eating that up quick, but I am buying Amish garlic to hold in abeyance and to plant for next year.



Then there is the whole gourd thing. Several years ago I bought some decorative gourds and set them by the back door to look pretty. The next year they sprouted and grew more gourds. Rinse and repeat this year. Thus there is a huge mountain of gourd leaves taking over that whole corner of the yard. Bright green and yellow gourds dangle from plant hangers, flower pots, and the big saw that decorates the wall there. I like them, but I have to keep breaking branches back so we can get out the back door.

So there it is, summer on the farm, even if retired.

I like that too..

Also I am writing, not one, but two books. That may sound like a lot, but in fact it is very, very, very slow going. This is partly because I am dog lazy and can find dozens of other things to do, and partly because of endless, relentless, never-ending interruptions that take me out of the story every time I get going. Fun though, I always loved to tell stories.


See the little gourd? A lot bigger now



2 comments:

Cathy said...

Awesome . . in so many, many ways.

Marianne . . . truly . . .
I have to be careful not to compare/contrast your day-to-day physical . . and mental . . and artistic ramblings there at Northview to my humdrum/ho-hum/ lazy existence.

And those books! Get on it girl!

I don't read fiction . . . but in your case - I'M IN !! :)

threecollie said...

Thank you, Cathy, it really isn't so much that I do...a little here, a little there...
I mean to keep at them and do when I can and when I can think my way through the latest road block. Now if I could just get Jei and Tahm to Legionholm to take on the evil king. lol