(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: History

Tuesday, November 01, 2022

History

 


I got to thinking about my old boss, Dr. Mark R. Crandall the other day. I learned a great deal from him in the 8 years off and on that I worked in his hospital, first as kennel help, later as receptionist and helping in treatments and in the operating room....how I hated that darned autoclave. Got one of the two best dogs I ever had when someone abandoned him at the kennel. Brandy would do anything I asked him as long as I could communicate what I wanted.

Anyhow, I Googled him and came across this interview and listened to it....couldn't believe I could actually hear his voice again after all these years. And I do mean years! I was 15 when I first ended up at his hospital because the guy I was dating worked there as weekend kennel help. He had never had a pet and I was animal crazy to the bone, so I went to work with him, and did at least as much as he did, cleaning cages, running dogs in and out, etc.

Even though I wasn't old enough to have a job in NY I ended up taking his place when he got sick of it.

I heard some of these stories in person and many others not included here. I think my favorite might be about the time Doc, as we called him, went on a farm call in a blinding snow storm.

He made it all the way to the farm driveway only to have a mishap when he tried to turn in. I don't remember too many of the details, but the farmer came out to see if he was okay and peered into his car.

To his horror Doc was dripping with watery, red, ichor.

Or at least he looked like it.

Turns out the crash had broken several bottles of scarlet oil, a topical wound dressing for livestock that is bright, bright, red.

Actually there was no harm done.

I doubt that I was the greatest of employees. I was just a kid and didn't know a darned thing about medicine or animals or much of anything else. However, he was patient with me and kind in his way.

And as I said, I learned a lot in those years and used that knowledge all my life. Thanks Doc.

Give this a listen if you have a few minutes. It offers a view of a world that is long gone.

2 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

Neat memory!

threecollie said...

Linda, it was so awesome to hear his voice again. I lost touch with him in later years but always admired him