(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: New Year, New Birds

Tuesday, January 03, 2023

New Year, New Birds

New Year, new Northern Harrier

The past few weeks have been busy ones
for all of us. I did two Christmas bird counts, one, Schenectady County, with a friend, and the Fort Plain one with my brother Matt.

Both were great fun. The latter I have always wanted to become involved in, but never knew anyone who did it...or at least not well enough to ask. This year I did some research, reached out to the coordinators, and offered to help if needed. They were really nice and were willing to let me tag along either on their territory or someone else's, but the circle was clearly well planned, and staffed with expert volunteers. Thus I thanked them, and said that I would be available next year if needed.



A couple of days before the count one of the counters became unable to cover their territory, so Matt and I got to do it after all. It was one of the best counting experiences I have ever had. It reminded me of back in the day when I did counts with Dad, before our Johnstown circle territory became overrun with a plethora of crazy drivers, hundreds of them. There were a number of really rural roads, some of them not even paved. Miles of farm fields, swamps, marshes, and brushy overgrown areas that just bustled with birds.

 Our very first stop just before daylight, we had an Eastern Screech owl, my first of the year! A couple of miles later we found a Barred Owl perched over the road, hunting. It was like that all day, although we ran out of territory before we ran out of enthusiasm. What a great way to end 2022.


We saw a lot of interesting Amish activities that day
some of which would had been eye openers for city folk
I have pics, but am not sharing. lol

Now we begin the long, slow process of building up a new list for the new year. it is not one bit birdy these days. Nothing on the roadsides and few at the feeder. Either they are elsewhere, or the warm weather is keeping them out on the land.

We did find 14 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Rough-legged Hawks, a Northern Harrier and an American Kestrel on New Year's Day, which made me pretty happy.

Now to try to be patient until the birds start moving again. It's not easy but someone has to do it.

Happy New Year!



Two years ago today my brothers and I joined the orphan train. That was when we lost Mom. 68 years as somebody's kid, gone forever. No childhood left at all. I played the Dutchman for them in the kitchen today and thought about them...but then I always do. 

5 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

At least counting birds helps make winter easier. I love the big birds this time of year, just for that reason

Jinglebob said...

Hugs for for you feelings of loss. I have been fighting with my website... I use Safari and it keeps telling me that it is incompatible.. just finally got it switched over to chrome.. we will see how that works and I may actually get to blog again!

threecollie said...

Linda, it does! It gets me going this time of year. We are not seeing much now thought...kinda disappointing.

Jinglebob, that it so exciting! I hope it works out and you do get it going again. I much enjoy your writings and photographs. Thanks also for your kind words.

Shirley said...

Great hawk photo!
That Amish dude looks like he wasn't wanting his photo taken.
Both of my parents are gone too, dad's anniversary is the 24th of this month. Sending hugs....

aurora said...

Happy New Birding Year!!