(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Out, into the Moon

Monday, April 10, 2023

Out, into the Moon

 


I don't like waking up every morning between three and four in the winter. Too many hours must pass before the sun makes its presence known. However, I got in the habit the year Riva Ridge won the Derby, and through a lifetime of farming the habit has stuck.

Even now into retirement.

However, waking up early as spring leaps toward summer, like a bunny on a caffeine and clover high, is not so bad. It is spooky and mysterious out there with the dog and the waning gibbous moon, but you can feel the sun coming. Today Cassiopeia was rocking in the branches of the cottonwood by the driveway, which was kinda cool.




All that is left of the old nest, which went all the way around the tree

No woodcock today, but I am sure thousands of migrating birds are passing overhead and most likely some of them will land to spend the day where maybe I can find them.

Yesterday we happened on a Rusty Blackbird at the boat launch as well as a couple of Bonaparte's Gulls that have been hanging around. These are birds that are elusive as pixies under mushrooms, at least in my world, and it was a delight to find them. Both species of kinglets are passing through, giving me a serious challenge in the photographing of same. They NEVER sit still. At least I was able to obtain recordings of both yesterday.


Cline Road Marsh, where we found Evening Grosbeaks recently

In less happy news the Sprakers eagles lost their venerable nest in a recent high wind. No idea what stage of breeding they were in but they at least lost eggs if not nestlings. We have been following the nest for years since a good friend pointed it out to us and I was dismayed when I looked up when we were passing to see only a quarter of it remaining. Sad. The parent birds had really added a lot to it this year...perhaps it was extra heavy. The night it fell, we certainly did have some serious winds, as has been the case a lot already this year.



Anyhow, on our way out to Beardsley Reservoir the other day, we stopped to take a better look at the damage. The nest was mostly gone, but eagle-eye Radar-Ralph spotted two birds whirling over the pines on the steep hill where the nest was. One landed and appeared to be breaking off branches and carrying them to a new tree a short way from the old nest.

Sure enough, they are building anew. 

I wish them success!


Rusty Blackbird

In other bird news, we have found some good ones lately, after the latest, migration-wise, and most meagre early spring, I have ever experienced. (I have been running ten or twelve species behind other years all year, but am slowly beginning to catch up, as birds finally begin moving.)


Bonaparte's Gull

At Beardsley Reservoir we found three Red-necked Grebes and a nice group of Long-tailed Ducks one day. This is only the second time I have ever seen those grebes, although we find a couple of Pied-billed most years.

I've been able to get decent recordings of a Pileated Woodpecker calling and drumming. Ditto Downies as well.



A farmer friend shared a map of 2023 hummingbird sightings this morning and I see they are up into Pennsylvania. Guess I will stick a feeder out just in case.

Meanwhile, hope you all had a nice Easter. We did....went birding in the AM, hung around puttering later in the day. Called loved ones to check in and made the boss meatloaf for Easter dinner. He loves it....We got the beef from an area farm and I am quite please with it.

But now, the first Northern Cardinal and White-throated Sparrows are singing outside. Guess I should see what the day might bring.


Dark-eyed Junco

3 comments:

Shirley said...

You are getting some variety now! We have a bald eagle or two, yellow shafted flickers that are busy on the barn siding, and yesterday I saw swans flying westward. Too far to see what kind. Heard my first robin last week. That pink moon sure brought the warm weather with it.

Terry and Linda said...

I've been wondering if the Hummers were back. I think I will stick a feeder out also.

threecollie said...

Shirley, it has begun for sure! Found several new species for the year today. Guess it is going to be really hot the rest of the week for us. Not a fan of winter, but I am not sure I am ready for 80 in April. lol

Linda, none here yet, but I like to be ready. Going to put out oranges too.