(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Magic in Woods and Water

Monday, May 08, 2023

Magic in Woods and Water

 

Pileated Woodpecker

According to the calendar the first day of Spring came late last month. Here in the real world though, it was yesterday. They just don't make weather like that any more. First thing in the morning we went to the boat launch at Schoharie Crossing SHS. Before I even had my binoculars hooked to my harness we saw Lesser Yellowlegs right in front of the car. By the time the visit was over I was able to photograph five of them, the two Greater Yellowlegs with them, three Spotted Sandpipers, and saw, but did not capture, a Solitary Sandpiper. I was even able to record the calls of the Lesser crew. That was the first time in at least two years that we had encountered them, although we see Greater all the time. 


Five Lesser and one Greater Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs

Contrast in size if you happen to catch them together

The elusive Lesser Yellowlegs

Then we went to Yankee Hill Lock, where there were scads of good birds, although very few warblers yet. There was a mighty banging right next to the bike path, but for the longest time I couldn't find the woodpecker source of the racket. Turns out I was peering up into the tops of the trees, while the bird was working over a log on the ground. Talk about mysterious!


Along the way

Next the boss shanghaied me off to McFadden's Plow Days. I did not expect to spend the whole visit grinning from ear-to-ear, but I did. All those fine farm men running that amazing machinery, plowing and fitting the ground so beautifully! I have a lot of video and photos to edit and upload....soon, I promise...very soon.



Late in the evening we ran up to Cline Road Marsh, hoping to catch up with a friend there. We missed communication somewhere along the road, but the birds were eager to come right out and meet up. Ralph just barely (quick sidestep) missed being not-photo bombed by a bunch of noisy Branta Canadensis, and the rails came right out in the road to peer at me with nervous eyes. It was the perfect ending to one of the best days I've had in ages.


Virginia Rail




No comments: