(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Juning for Joy

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Juning for Joy

 



Hey, I'm too darned old to jump....

Last night we visited Rankan Grove Rd. Ext. where there is a little beaver pool with adjacent swamp and a larger, although shallow, beaver pond. We stumbled upon the spot several years ago and it is one of the best places we know for warblers.

The evening was no exception, with the usual suspects, Chestnut-sided and Yellow Warblers singing cheerfully, as were a couple of Common Yellowthroats. There was a Northern Waterthrush hanging around and a Black-throated Green Warbler too. 

Best by far for me though was a Canada Warbler bouncing around the brush foraging and chirping contentedly. Made my day. However, in the dim light and with a slowish camera I never got a photo.

Maybe next time.




Had the first lettuce from the garden last night and it was right tasty. The woodchucks and Liz's darned rabbit think my stuff is tasty too. If I didn't grow most things in old watering troughs and half barrels there would be none left for us. What the rabbit doesn't eat he digs up.

As it was while I was inside this morning one of the villains ate the sunflowers and scarlet runner beans out of the tub by the door. I am not pleased.

However, even after a hot spell with the weed whacker and a mess of other chores I am downright pleased with the day. June is about as good as it gets and I am going to enjoy as much of it as I can...except the varmints of course. 



4 comments:

Shirley said...

Wascally Wabbit! It's annoying to put that effort into growing your own food only to have it be a smorgasbord for critters.
I was super pleased to see a Kingfisher a little while ago! I watched as it dove 3 times into the river. That was so cool! No camera of course.

threecollie said...

Shirley, nice on the kingfisher! I have seen a few this year, but likewise, no photos. The critters are terribly frustrating this year. The tame bunny really needs to be confined for a while. He is a pest!

aurora said...

Great title! Warblers are so cute. As with many birds, I find them hard to ID. I only enjoyed birding off our property once, earlier this Spring. Busier year for us.

I agree, thank goodness for raised veggies! Although this year we are SO dry the wild ones are coming closer to the house. Eating things they normally do not bother. Like our strawberry leaves (grown in a raised bed). I managed to save half by putting a "Deer off" station on a stake thingee. Appears to have worked. Harvested enough berries for one batch of jam. Might have enough left to pick for a fresh strawberry pie.

Hope your bunny pest take up feeding elsewhere.

threecollie said...

aurora, thanks! I am still learning warblers too. I do pretty well during the months they are in breeding plumage, but in fall, all bets are off. Sorry to read about your strawberries. I think poor Big Bunny got hit on the road last night. Although I did not enjoy his depredations in my plants, I hated to see it. I can't imagine why he went so far from the barn, as it is a long, long way to the road from here. I will have to look into Deer Off. Peas are almost ripe....