(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Planting and Putting By

Saturday, September 09, 2023

Planting and Putting By

 


Yesterday I planted the third, and probably last, crop of leaf lettuce for the year. We have enjoyed many salads and sammiches with it and I will miss it come winter. I grow it in old water tubs and totes. Today I picked a bunch from the second planting for us and for Liz too. I just take the outside leaves and each day there seem to be fresh outside leaves. Going to try some butterhead type next year I think. Liz bought some at a stand earlier in the summer and it was really good. 



Today I finally remembered to bake and freeze the big butternut squash I bought for fifty cents each from some Amish folks up in Otsego County. They grow darned good squash.



I don't believe my watermelon is going to set fruit this year, but at least...so far...the deer and woodchucks have left it alone. Last year just as it started making baby melons they ate every single leaf. It is so pretty that I will continue to grow it just for the foliage!



Check out this mixer. A dear friend bought it for me once when i took care of his horse when he was out of town. That was before I even knew Ralph existed, so over forty years...way over. It still works perfectly well too. You know that old saying....they just don't make them like they used to!



Happy Anniversary to these two lovely folks. 5 Years! Congratulations!



2 comments:

aurora said...

It was a different (dry & hot) gardening year around here. Leaf lettuce did not come up, even after replanting. I did however get two delicious Buttercrunch heads! Many folks couldn't get carrots to grow either. I felt fortunate mine did really well, but I had to replant those too. Melons are hard to grow. I gave up on growing them.

I had a trusty hand blender my whole adult life. My mom gifted it to me. I was so sad when it stopped working a few years ago. The replacement I purchased pales in comparison. Doubt the new flimsy one will last 40 plus years.

Enjoy your fresh lettuce! SO over priced and iffy in stores.

threecollie said...

aurora, I couldn't grow carrots this year either. Don't know what's up with that. Sorry about your lettuce failure. It has done nothing but rain here. Guess we had all of yours and most of everyone else's too. We have a farmer friend just a few miles from here who was able to bale most of the summer, while hardly any hay dried in this end of the county. Going to be expensive this year, I'm afraid, and very low quality. Thanks