(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Cow Tax

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Cow Tax

I first heard about this from Sarpy Sam at Thoughts From the Middle of Nowhere. It has been a source of much delight to me and the family that Sam has begun posting again. He is very well informed on farm and ranch issues and his opinion is well worth hearing.

Then World Dairy Diary had a short piece on it. Dairy Today had an alert about it too, just this morning

As I was working on this week's Farm Side, which was originally going to be all about the price of turkey and corn in fast food, it came to the forefront of my really busy with bookwork and Thanksgiving Day preparations brain that this is bad news. REALLY bad news! The $17, 500 bucks a year that it would cost a farm the size of Northview would put us out of business.


Yesterday as I was researching to add a bit of information about this outrageous trespass upon common sense to the column I realized that I had heard nothing from our state Farm Bureau about it. I dropped them a note. They were probably already working on it but within hours one way or another the alert was out to members across the state.

Everyone, everywhere, needs to get on top of this. If you are a farmer or rancher or even grow crops go to your state Farm Bureau website or anywhere else you can find a place to do so and leave a comment for the EPA. The public comment period ends Friday, so you are up against a short deadline. I figured out yesterday that just for animals alone this regulation would cost the county where I live $2,467,500.00. That doesn't include what would be required of those who raise corn, soybeans or other row crops or hogs or other livestock. Talk about hurting the economy! This is scary...

9 comments:

h said...

You don't have to be a Farmer or a Rancher to realize this STINKS!

R.Powers said...

Yikes!

Anonymous said...

How is it the crazy idiotic people are in power making these decisions? Once again, just like with ethanol, they can't think thru the whole thing and the consequences. This is what we are graduating from our colleges? And yet I doubt it will impact those flying their private jets and contributing to the pollution gases as much-I have a friend with a client who is private jet owner, they have not cut back their spending much even now, and this kind of thing likely won't impact their wallets as much as it will affect our food suppliers. I say again, what idiots. We will just end up importing more food from where they have no such tax. Microeconomics 101. and we already know what kind of quality food China is known for!

Anonymous said...

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/anpr.html

I went to this page to try to read up on this a little. Of course, it's written in bureaucrateeze, and there are only 564 pages! Unbelievable.

But the page does give links and an email address to send comments.

Anonymous said...

fred what next?????!!!!!!
Matt

Earl said...

Bad science - carbon dioxide is essential to human life, just because it is an easy measurement for carbon footprint (who made that word up) doesn't mean it will get hotter anywhere - unless your science is bad - since it is convertable to carbon and something else, and oxygen and something else. Until they put an umbrella between Earth and the Sun I will not participate in the Global Warming foolishness. Human beings only think they are the center of the Universe.

threecollie said...

Troll, it does indeed!

FC, couldn't have said it better myself!

Mari, it's nuts....the atmosphere is naturally made up in part of carbon dioxide. Plants kind of like the stuff. What are they thinking!

akagaga, I used Farm Bureau to send my comments. Hopefully it will help, but who knows?

Linda, thanks! I am afraid a lot of farmers are not even going to know about it before the comment period is over.

Matt, probably something worse!

Earl, Thank YOU! Someone who gets it! I have family members with great educations, in important jobs that deal with global warming type stuff and they think it is a bunch of hooey.

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

Hey, Earl you need to run for office! Thanks for the heads up I will head over to Farm Bureau. What exactly do the people in Washington and the State office's want to end up eating and drinking?
Camel from the East? Vodka from Russia?

threecollie said...

Ww, Happy Thanksgiving! I agree about Earl, he really is a good thinker! If you get a chance and can get that out to other folks about the public comment, please do. I am telling everyone I know