(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Carolina Wren on the Porch

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Carolina Wren on the Porch




For Cathy, who asked. I never imagined I could actually get this video, but as I was getting ready to head to the barn this morning, not one, but two Carolina wrens came to sing on the porch amphitheater. One was under the old DR Trimmer singing its heart out. This one started at the top of the steps then flew right to the door where I was standing, clung to the outside of the crosspieces on the screen and sang about a foot from my camera (missed that on the video). You can see him flying up to the door at the end of the video.
Used my beloved Canon Is3s btw, which does a fine job at anything I ask of it.

I was about to shoot more when the cat hit the screen at about a hundred mph. Guess he isn't a music lover.

****Update, I put a second video, in which you can just barely see the bird on the screen before the cat hits it over on my other blog, The View at Northview.

6 comments:

Dani said...

How lucky you are! I've only seen a couple in the twenty some years that I've lived in Florida.

lisa said...

So, nice. I haven't heard one for a while, they were nesting in the wren boxes we have.

Ava said...

Very nice! Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm a bird watcher and learning bird calls for identification is part of the drill. I always enjoy hearing these!

Ericka said...

lol - my cat WAS asleep on the chair next to me until i hit the play button. now she's up and prowling around because clearly, there IS a birdie in here somewhere and it is HERS. :-)

Linda said...

Some awesome song.....too bad the cat doesn't thing so;)

threecollie said...

Dani, up until this pair I had only ever seen half a dozen or so too. We picked one up half frozen a couple winters ago and sent it to a bird rehabilitator and saw a couple on the feeder when we lived in town. I am thrilled to have them!

Lisa, our house wrens aren't around much this year either. I am wondering where they went

Ava, thanks. I am working hard at learning new calls, but the old dog and new tricks syndrome poses a conundrum for me. Two new ones this summer is the best I have been able to do.

Ericka, that is hilarious....sorry about that. lol

LInda, poor birds. He stalks them relentlessly through the screens whenever they come. Today they went to the other porch where he can't see them as well.