(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Oxygen please

Monday, June 26, 2006

Oxygen please

You have surely heard the phrase, “under the weather’, as in, “He was feeling a bit under the weather yesterday and stayed home from school.”

Well that about describes life in the great Northeast in recent weeks (although we only wish we could stay home and make it all better). We have wavered between constant cold, clammy rain, a few blazing days of 90-degree temps and sticky, humid misery or the stuff we have right now, that is living inside a low-lying cloud of thick, scummy air reminiscent of Los Angeles at its worst, only with no sunshine.

As I sit at this computer gasping for oxygen and dreading the barn, where said already scarce oxygen is going to be shared by 54 cows and few million flies, (which adore sticky airless weather) reaching hard for weighty words that will inspire you to comment freely, all I can come up with is ARRGGGHHHHHH………..

Yeah, we are under the weather all right.

4 comments:

R.Powers said...

The air is thick out there. I can imagine the barn with cow flatulence and flies thrown in.
Do you use those bag fly traps on the farm?
I've got one on my porch (kinda stinky tho) and it is slaying the flies. There must be a few thousand in it already and each day it is abuzz with new victims.

threecollie said...

Hi FC,
we have tried bottle traps and sticky paper, but really they can't keep up very well.Too small I guess. I haven't seen bag traps. If they catch thousands then I sure am interested.
We keep the barn pretty clean in summer and I have a pyrethrum (sp?) spray that sort of chases them outdoors. Other than that we run the big fans while we are working, dust the cows with powder and live with 'em.

Anonymous said...

Hope it improves soon!

Deanna said...

I can understand the heat part. The moms walk us at night, and I still have to have a drink in the middle. We could use some of the torrents of rain down here, though. The lake is lower than I've ever seen it.