(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Code inforcement and the five-day work week

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Code inforcement and the five-day work week

Got the wildly unwelcome news yesterday. The state is planning on having towns send code enforcement officers to inspect cow barns and farm out buildings as if they were offices and stores.

Insane, just plain off the wall nuts, but what can you expect from this outpost of liberal idiocy? New York I mean. Can you imagine the cash cow that enforcing building codes on three-sided cow sheds, pig pens and chicken houses could be for municipalities? We keep our piggies in an old horse trailer. Do you suppose it has enough electrical fixtures to meet the fire and maintenance regulations? I can just hear the enforcement officer now, "Mr. Farmer-man, this structure has insufficient wiring, we will be fining you XXXX dollars a day until it is brought up to code." Actually, it doesn't have any wiring, but what the heck, money is money.

I am thinking that comparing a cow barn to an insurance office or grocery store is like comparing a water buffalo to a penguin. Different structural requirements for different uses.
Farm Bureau has managed to get the state to agree to suspend these inspections on farms, pending some negotiations on exempting farm buildings.

I am thankful that while I was enjoying a very pleasant holiday with friends and family, someone was in Albany keeping an eye on the various lurking legislative bodies. They do bear watching.

Which brings to mind just how delighted I am that the Democrats are planning to go back to a five-day work week in Congress. Although for the most part I admire a good work ethic, the more time they have to legislate, the more laws they can cook up.
And there is nothing we need less than more government intrusion into our lives…thankyouverymuch!

6 comments:

Wil said...

Have you got a link to this story or was it something aired on the TV news this AM?

Before commenting, I want the facts... (Yes, I am a former Code Enforcement Officer, from a rural area, and have some insight to offer. But, on the other hand, I just know some over-eager SOB will have you all up in arms over the pig shed in the horse trailer. That is life, after all...)

Rebecca Mecomber said...

The Empire-Building State must make sure that all the piggies of NY get their five-a-day, too! Look out-- they may force you to read the pigs bedtime stories and supply mandatory health care on them...

Think of it this way: It gives NEW meaning to "pork" spending in New York.

Heh! That's another good one-- I Love New Pork!!!!

threecollie said...

Hi wil, I know, I know, I tend to overreact when faced with further government oversight of my already overinspected life. (We already have three layers of milk inspectors, state, federal and milk company). This just ticked me off. I can't put in a link because it came in a urgent email alert last night. The uninfluenced-by-ire version of the story is that farms have always fallen under maintenance and fire codes, but had different regs than town buildings. Not unreasonable. However, new regs are coming on board that do not take into consideration the nature of farming as being quite different from regular building use. We are lucky enough to live in a community that is fairly ag sympathetic, but I suspect in less farm dominated counties nearby this will equal a real mess unless the regs can be returned to their former state.

threecollie said...

Hey there mrs. m, Good one. lol
I probably would have just sat back and waited for Farm Bureau and the powers that be to work this out, but the news fell on top of a seemingly endless string of petty-fogging, but must-be-dealt-with other irritations. Christmas gifts lost in the mail by the Post Office, others delivered to a neighbor's rainy porch by UPS, the milk company falling down on important paper work that we really need, because it is Christmas and they are lost in the ozone...(or that was the excuse). And on and on. I was cranky in the first place. I perhaps should have waited a couple of days to see what happened before going ballistic, but after all, what is a blog for anyhow? lol

Anonymous said...

Mrs. M -- yes, that's really funny!

Threecollie, I share your alarm and agree with your opinions. I'll be interested to read more about it.

Several years ago, OSHA decided that it needed to monitor home offices, and the legislation came very close to passing. I was seriously opposed to this for many obvious reasons, and it felt like it would be a violation of my private space.

And, yes, venting and expressing your opinions (without risking being labeled an anti-something or something-phobe) is a very good use of a blog!

threecollie said...

Hey there nw, I remember that OSHA nonsense too. If we allow government to intrude it will....we need to kick and scream a lot. lol