(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: That $#*&&** Robin

Friday, April 27, 2007

That $#*&&** Robin

I am beginning to have strong feelings about the robin who spends all day, every day banging on the kitchen window. I won't go so far as to say that I hate him, but when two other robins ganged up on him yesterday and drove him away for a while I rejoiced. Too soon it seems, as he was back a couple of hours later, clinging to the uprights of the windows and beating on the glass.
He is a bratty bird for sure and has very strong feelings of his own about his reflection.
I wonder if he was the one getting drunk on palm berries down in FC's back yard all winter? that might explain a lot about his behavior. I hope there is a program for robins like him....or that he finds a lady friend real soon and gets his mind on other things.


On the other hand we have a mockingbird! I know they are all over the place down south, but up here in the far, far north, they are a sometimes kind of bird. Some years we get a tame one who will eat currents off the windowsill in the living room. We get to hear their frantic singing and to try to decide what birds they are mimicking. Then four or five years will go by before we see one. This one mostly sings robin songs, but he has a few other calls as well. By the end of summer if he stays he will probably know every call around

11 comments:

dmmgmfm said...

A robin decided he hated my last car. He spent days pecking at it. He drove me nuts, so I can relate.

Cathy said...

Well, for Pete's sake - open the danged window and invite him in for tea ;0)

AND a Mockingbird! You must be doing something right. Lucky.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Funny! You always have such entertaining stories.

Do robins normally act these ways? Seems weird for a bird... I thought robins were not so eccentric.

threecollie said...

Hi Laurie, believe me, I can understand how you feel. At first we thought he was cute, but by about the thousandth bang on the window it begins to get old

Cathy...there's a thought! Maybe he is just cold. lol

Mrs. M, I used to love robins...used to that is. Crazy bird!

Deanna said...

I love mockingbirds! Of course, down here in Texas, they are everywhere - it's the state bird - but it's one of my favorites!

threecollie said...

Hi Cubby, we really like them too. My late m-i-l loved to tame them and get them coming right to the windowsill.

Anonymous said...

That's one strange robin! Do keep us posted about him. I, too, saw a mockingbird a few days ago, and it stopped me right in my tracks. It patiently sat on top of a bush while I walked around it from 6-8' away.

threecollie said...

NW, I am missing you these days. We have got to find a way to spend some time together!
And you need to take your camera back to the bush and get photos!

carrie said...

we have muddawbers who've made a nest under the eaves of our house

R.Powers said...

He never could handle his berries.

threecollie said...

Hi carrie, we get those too.

FC, he can't handle pane either....window pane that is. He is banging out there even as I sit here typing this.