(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Herkimer Diamond mining

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Herkimer Diamond mining



Was in the plans for today. However, we got up to pouring rain and February-like cold. It looks as if we will have to settle for taking pictures of some we collected other years. Some of these the kids and I dug up and the bigger ones were donated by my brother, who took his family digging a couple of weeks ago. Lousy day, lousy photos, sorry.

7 comments:

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Aw! Sorry the rain spoiled your plans. The pictures aren't lousy at all! They are rather arty. My sons have been desperate to go to the Mines, but since we cannot right now, your pics are a nice panacea. The boys are ALWAYS digging rocks and quartz out of our yard and asking if they look like Herkimer diamonds!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love Herkimer diamonds!

Cathy said...

Au contraire! The pixes are great. Now I've got to google Herkimer diamonds.

threecollie said...

Mrs. M. thanks, it cleared off after a while and we went for a couple of hours. It was kind of muddy but we had fun anyhow. Didn't find anything spectacular, but I have one nice matrix piece.

Moo, that is the New Yorker in you I think. lol. I love treasure hunting and around here that is as close as you can get.

Cathy, thanks, the link in the story is the place we went. Not the biggest mine but very reasonably priced.

Anonymous said...

Plan nothing and the day will be brilliant... plan something and in come the storm clouds.

The God of Weather must be named Murphy.

Still, you had SOME fun... better than watching paint dry, right?

...oh, and the pics, I too had to "Google" about Herkimer diamonds... so they couldn't be that bad!

threecollie said...

Hi Matthew, yeah, no complaints. Our finds looked pretty nice when washed up. One real keeper and a nice piece on matrix.

R.Powers said...

Color me clueless. I had to Google them too.
Beautiful!