(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The finest things in life

Monday, November 12, 2007

The finest things in life


Are sometimes round and crunchy.
(Imagine, every bite a cold, crisp explosion of sweet, tangy juice)
(Imagine dozens of them)
(Mine all mine)
(Well, sort of)

We ran down to Pines yesterday, since Bellinger's is closed for the season (Alan says he heard that they ran out of apples), and bought a whole bushel of apples.
28 bucks! (Worth every penny, but, dang!)

This is an apple household, make no mistake about it. We love 'em. We eat 'em. The photo above is the already much marauded-upon basket of fruit that we bought. See all the empty spots? These apples only came home at noon yesterday and already they are vanishing like Houdini.

We chose a mixture of Golden Delicious, Ida Reds, and both red and green Northern Spies. We are making our way through the Delicious first as they are not the best keepers. I turned control of the green Spies over to Liz, as they are my favorite for pies and she is the best pie baker (cakes are Becky's thing). The hard, crisp winter keepers, the Spies and Ida Reds, will mostly find their way into Apple Snacks, my favorite winter breakfast (or lunch, as far as it goes.) I am having one now.....ahhh........

6 comments:

Rosie said...

I haven't been to the apple barn yet to get my Mountain Yorks...but I love apples too. With cheese.

Yes...I've known girls named Chevon too...and wondered what in the world their parents were thinking.

R.Powers said...

Oh sweet torture. It is the great failing of the very southern south, that we cannot grow decent apples.
Not enough chill time for apples or cherries.

Enjoy your bounty!

Stacy said...

That looks soooo good. I love me some apples! With caramel. In a pie. Sauced. Baked. With cheese. Spread with peanut butter....drool.

threecollie said...

Rosie, I am so grateful to have gotten some...seems like the apples are real good this year and everyone is buying them up.

FC, wish we could share....or maybe trade for oranges. lol

Stacy, they are so good in everything, even salad.

MinorcanMeteorolgist said...

*Insert jealousy here*
I love a bag of fresh, crispy appples. My grandma brings them back from the mountains of North Carolina when she goes, but they're gone very quickly. But or fresh citrus will start to turn completely ripe in just a few weeks, and then the tables will turn :-D

threecollie said...

HT, I'm glad you get at least some good apples each year. It is too bad that fruit loses so much during shipping.
I have only ever visited your beautiful state once, in the early 1970s, but the citrus was one of the high points. (So was Venice Beach where we spent a whole day picking fossil shark's teeth out of the surf and Grassy Key where we camped for several days....and Key West...oh heck, the whole place was great. lol)