(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Doug Swingley retires

Monday, February 25, 2008

Doug Swingley retires

One of my favorite mushers called it quits this year as far as the Iditarod goes, although he will still continue to raise dogs for the great race and still races in other venues. Swingley blamed his age for not running in the Iditarod any more saying on the official race news site, “I’m just too old to compete at the level I want to compete at,” he said. “It’s an awesome group of dogs, and I don’t have the ability to keep up with them anymore without getting hurt.” He sustained some serious hurting last year and is almost as old as I am so I can't really blame him. As a four time winner he has sure got the tee shirt.

He is also taking up horse endurance racing.

5 comments:

Paintsmh said...

Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. He was one of my favorites!!!!!!!

Jan said...

I always like it when someone goes out with class at the top of his/her game.

Cathy said...

Seems to me you've got your own Iditarod goin' at Northview. You've got the animals, seems like you're racing round the clock, all kinds of hazardous weather . . .

Heck - your hubby sustained a more serious injury than a few broken ribs.

Only thing that's missing are the fans. Oh! Wait! You've got that, too. C'est moi.

threecollie said...

Paints, yeah, but you can't blame him a bit

Jan, I have admired him since he got into the game...seems like a classy guy

Cathy, you are so sweet to say that and I thank you very much!

dmmgmfm said...

He really was incredible. He will be missed.