(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Good morning

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Good morning

First coffee, sharply fragrant, (although just now it is all about the caffeine). Second coffee is never as good no matter what you do to it. First rooster crowing at something even though there isn't one single glimmer of light in the east...except what comes from the lights at the county jail. (Speaking of which, the penny just now dropped as I was writing, why we see UFO's down there all the time. Those weird lights in the sky are either helicopters searching for escapees they don't tell us about or dropping off or picking up. I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out-lousy sense of direction I guess...always thought the lights were the city.)
I also used to think that roosters had some special connection to the sun and crowed because they felt it coming up. Now I know that they crow at lights on the Thruway, the moon, flashlights and fireflies. Guess they just like to crow.

Even though it is pitch dark I can tell it is going to be sunny today, at least early on. On cloudy days I can barely drag myself out of bed in the morning, but this day I am wide awake already. We had a little sunshine yesterday (and by little I mean in thirty-second increments) and it was wildly invigorating. Whenever it peeked out I felt like cleaning the house from attic to cellar, starting my whole garden, and writing War and Peace (fortunately it only slipped out from between the clouds a couple of times). Guess that is why they call it spring...it makes you feel springy.

Still no robins although I thank the folks who have written or called to share theirs. There were a couple of pale Canadian birds about four miles down the road (right near the jail in fact) on Sunday. Wish they would take a tiny detour in their Northward journey and fly down here for a minute. It is Northview after all....they COULD stop by if they wanted to.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw more Robins yeasterday afternoon. Maybe its because they leave there in the fall and come here for the winter?

R.Powers said...

Still swarms of them here. They line the roadsides and zip back and forth across the road like maniacs.

Porchlights.
Our roosters sound off when I flip the switch.

Anonymous said...

Coffee, mmmmmm. . . I like my 2nd & 3rd, too.

I'm glad that you found the source of the UFOs. When I lived near Rikers it was only rarely we saw them. Don't know if that means there were rarely breakouts - or they rarely used choppers. I'd like to believe the former.

No robins (or roosters) here. Well, maybe some pheasant roosters. There's been plenty of sun, but it seems to be accompanied by just as much wind.

Watch out for that ice!

Paintsmh said...

Let's all sing the happy song of "Snow snow is really horrible....And NY stat is really stupid running out of salt in February" and repeat in a round!!!

Stacy said...

Hope you got your sunshine. It started out snowy here and man, is it cold, but the sun is shining now. If I can just ignore the windchill.....

Michael Ogden said...

Nicely written blog!

Linda said...

I too had a rooster that would crow at the flip of the porchlight switch. During calving at two A.M. everything knew I was coming for the nightly butt check. What's a Canadian, other than the obvilous,me?

cube said...

I definitely agree about that first cup of coffee. I'm no physicist, but I think that may be a universal law ;-)

threecollie said...

tim, yeah, they head on out in the fall and are usually starting to show up about now. None yet though

Samurr, thanks! and thanks for visiting

FC, guess they are fueling up for the trip. Not much open ground yet for them to find food anyhow

moos, I like the later ones, but the first is the best. Those UFOs have been driving me crazy for several years...can't believe it took me so long to figure 'em out.

Paints...snow=bah humbug

Stacy, we did for a couple hours in between the mini blizzards

Thanks Mike! And thanks for visiting..

Linda, this guy used to keep us up half the night when he had his living free and easy. Now he is in a coop where we can't hear him quite as well...thankfully!

Cube...even better with a little hot chocolate mix thrown in on real cold days.

Anonymous said...

Sunshine is something we all need!

Anonymous said...

Happy Wednesday!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

It's amazing how those peeks of sun can transform our moods. The gray days have become oppressive. My grandson swore he saw a robin on the way to Syracuse yesterday but I haven't spotted one yet. Here's hoping we both see the sun today!

threecollie said...

mon@rch, we got a nice day today anyhow and I am grateful!

Tim, thanks, and happy Thursday to you!

Apple, I watched all the way to Syracuse today and still haven't seen one!