(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Research

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Research

I find the best stuff while searching for substantiation for my opinions for the Farm Side each week....trivial, pointless and highly entertaining factiodal-type stuff I mean. The wealth of information available on the Internet, free for the asking, simply never ceases to amaze me.

For example, how about a study showing that farmers are five times less likely than the general populace to develop lung cancer? The apparent reason is that us folks who work with critters all day inhale droplets of aerosol manure. That stuff, as we all know, is full of germs. Scientists say that they inoculate us against the dread disease. (Of course my father had another take on it. He said we were all full of..ahem...sorry, I simply can't quote him here on a family site. I'll bet if you know him, you can just hear him saying it though.)


I also discovered today that our own home place, Montgomery County NY, was rated the number two best county to live in, among the top 100 rural counties
in the Northeast region by a poll taken by Progressive Farmer Magazine. How about that? I knew that it is pretty here, not too many earthquakes, tornadoes or presidential candidates, even though our government leaves a little (oh, heck a lot) to be desired, but that was plumb surprising. And cool. Home, sweet home!

6 comments:

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Congrats on Montgomery County! One of the only two counties in Upstate NY that won't have power lines slicing through the towns!

Oooo yes, I am being very cynical. NYRI does get my goat.

Interesting about the lung cancer.

Jan said...

I read once that farm kids had far fewer health problems than city kids for about the same reason as the lung cancer thing. Being around animals and the earth produces immunities. Makes sense to me.

R.Powers said...

Hey, lucky you!
I like the last post too. You sound contented.

threecollie said...

Mrs. M, I was astonished. Our taxes are high, our government somewhere between inept and corrupt,,,I really don't quite get it. And NYRI is a downright crime and needs to be stopped!

Jan, it shocked me, I have to admit it.

FC, thanks, I had to learn to be, but for the most part I guess I am....pretty much.

Cathy said...

That business about lung cancer is fascinating. I've scooped a lot of dog poo. I wonder if that counts for anything.

How neat to have confirmed that you live in a very special place.

threecollie said...

Cathy, I was writing a column about politics, so it was nice to find some good news.