(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Window on the (bird) World

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Window on the (bird) World

The view from my Sunday chair

Sunday morning...I get to sit in my Sunday chair and read a Dean Koontz book, which gave me nightmares last night. (You can kill wild pigs with a Swiss Army knife you know...if you always carry one...if three of them have your husband down on the ground savaging him...if only in your dreams.) It is on the opposite side of the house from the bird feeders, but the birds are bringing all the drama of their lives right to me. First a phalanx of pigeons swoops by, blown sideways by the wind. They look anxiously in through the window, all facing me, all unable to fly forward as the wind tosses them around. I hate what they do to the roof of the steeple, but they sure are beautiful fliers.

Then a crow drives a red tailed hawk right past and down to the road, dive bombing his back, bringing him so near I can see the fluffy, white feathers around his tail. It seems strange that the much larger bird is so harried by the smaller, but that is always how it goes. If I were red tail I would just eat crow.

Next two chickadees bounce off the window fighting over a wasp's nest. If I didn't already love chickadees this wasp eating thing of theirs would endear them to me. Our monster huge wooden house is always festooned with all sorts of nests of stinging insects. This time of year the chickadees hunt them out and eat the larvae they contain. (Since Liz is allergic to stings I cheer them on.) In a few minutes one of the combatants is back picking off the next to last nest on the big living room windows. I hope he comes back for the other one.


12 comments:

R.Powers said...

Look at your tropical retreat!
What a great spot.
I'm a fan of Koontz too.
Which book?

Linda said...

You do have a way with houseplants! Must be all that good light.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a nice place to take a Sunday nap.

Anonymous said...

FRED THAT LOOKS SOMEWHAT LIKE OUR DINING ROOM . A forest of house plants.lovely!!!!!!
your
Bro.

Anonymous said...

Such an exciting place to be sitting! lots of activities and cheer on those chickadees!

threecollie said...

FC, it is that exactly...I love the green. It is my armor against icicles. The book was Fear Nothing...excellent, but very scary for the faint of heart like me. I know better than to read Koontz at night, but I do it anyhow.

Linda, it is the light....it makes it easy.. I love the big windows.

Nita, and sometimes I do too although not today...too hectic around here for even the boss to fall asleep

Mappy, yeah, I can see the resemblance. I need that wall of green between me and the white stuff outside! lol

dmmgmfm said...

I love your pictures! Really beautiful.

Tina said...

chickers eat wasp larva? Seriously?
Dang, I knew there was a reason I loved those little buggers!
:)

Paintsmh said...

I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!

threecollie said...

Laurie, thanks so much

Tina, they do. I never knew it until they started taking the ones off the window where I sit. I find it strange that they don't just eat them all, but instead they have picked away at them a couple at a time all winter. They are nearly gone now.

Paints...you know how mutual that is baby

Cathy said...

Ohhh . . that's a lovely sunny spot to relax. " armor against icicles" :0)

threecollie said...

Thanks, cathy, sometimes just the furnace isn't enough to dispel the cold...