(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Busy week

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Busy week


Not two sides of the same calf..
.nope these are two different bull calves, one a Citation R Maple out of Liz's show heifer Blitz, the other a Rain out of my Bubbles. If we weren't so busy I would advertise them as potential oxen. They sure are a pair.
Wish they were both heifers...oh how I wish!





A baby Holstein/Milking shorthorn heifer calf. Born yesterday and up trotting around behind mama in a few hours. Wish they were all that easy.



By Myrik out of my dear little Etrain cow. This is what I did yesterday...watched E and then pulled this huge heifer, then took care of both later in the day. I am thrilled to get a girl and so far E is doing pretty well. We are working on names. In the hat so far are Texas, Email, Pizza, Flamingo and a couple others that are funny as heck and begin with e (this is my e family and we are scraping the bottom of the barrel for names...thus the potential for names beginning with other letters) but are simply not suitable for this particular blog. If you have any preferences among these potential names, or others as far as that goes, let me know please.

TNT Hattie, one of Heather's three milking daughters. Hattie is far and away my favorite Jersey on the place. Not that we are friends or anything, as she would love to hook me with her head when I lock up her stanchion (I think she thinks I want her grain). She is just a pretty, elegant, little thing and I like to look at her.

Sorry posting and writing are sparse, late and lame. These are not all the calves we have had in the past couple of weeks with more to come and problems too numerous to mention. Some years things work out well and you feel lucky and all. And then there are the other years....like this one.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez you have been busy, nice calves. If I win the lottery, training a nice pair of oxen is on my list. Sadly it takes too much time, and then to change over to working with oxen so they get enough work would be a trial. Our cow year isn't going too good either and I haven't wanted to post about it - our corral looks like a tornado hit it after our last loading and sorting of butcher steers and the culprit (who I absolutely hate, is still here)(I think he will be field harvested, and I predict he will die of lead poisoning)is still walking around. It's hard enough to farm with the price of fuel and feed, to have birthing problems and then the things that go along with that make you just want to scream, or cry...
I for one appreciate ANY posting you do, since I know how busy you guys are. Thank you TC Love the cow pics - btw how is Mike?

Deb said...

I enjoy your posts and appreciate the time you take to share your farm. I can only imagine how busy you are. Such beautiful calves! I'm sorry calving is not going easily. I hope it gets better and you get all beautiful heifers!!

Try to squeeze out a few minutes for yourself. I know that seems impossible but it's so important!

R.Powers said...

Ditto on the appreciation of your sharing.
Congrats on the new additions.

Anonymous said...

Wahhhhhhhhhhh, I haven't seen any pics of my daughter, Dalkeith. I'm so sad.
Not exactly breakfast conversation but I'm curious... When a fine bull turns into a steer, what happens with his ummm 'courage'?

(leans back in chair, takes a deep breath and feels lucky am not a bull)

Paintsmh said...

And so here comes another...I DONT WANT TO FEED ANY MORE!!!! Ah well. Maybe it will be a girly...

Breezey375 said...

Paints doesn't want more to feed who do you think you're kidding i'm the one who feeds the buggers!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the calves. When I was a kid in Glen, we could each "adopt" and name one of Edgar Grandy's cows. My "Daisy" had a calf, so I had two for one and made all the other kids jealous. I still remember them licking the salt off our hands.

On the name thing: I don't know what you've already used, but have you tried Bible names? Eve? Esther? Elizabeth?

Islagringo said...

Man, I love this blog! I don't know how you guys do the work that you do. Seriously, I don't.

Names: Email is great but maybe...
Ezcome
Essay
EQuine (haha!)

OKay, now I'm off to Wiki the difference between a steer and an ox. Never did know for sure what an ox is so now is a good time to learn!

Anonymous said...

Great calf pics. Hope your luck turns for the better soon.

threecollie said...

NIta, we put em on Craigslist, but no takers. Sorry to hear you are having a tough year too. Seems like I am hearing that from a lot of folks around here too. Mike has become fairly accustomed to being off kilter all the time and even plays once in a while. For which I am very grateful.

DEb, thanks, I took in a meeting today in Syracuse, which was fun and a chance to get away and get a little perspective for which I am grateful

FC, thanks, another new one yesterday...not pictured yet, but another bull

Steve, I am sure Liz will remedy that lack first chance she gets....around here when we turn bulls into steers we throw the byproduct up on the roof. Out west of course they become the main course....So you should be really, really, really glad to not be a bull. lol

Paints, alas, another bully

Breezey, yeah, yeah, except on Sunday mornings...

Akagaga...what fun! I don't name very many any more, but I used to love to....Good names too, thanks!

Wayne, thanks for the good name suggestions. Nobody can seem to come to a logical conclusion on this one.
an ox btw is just a working steer. It boggles my mind to think of training a steer to do what they do, but people manage somehow...amazing.

AMWD, thanks, we did have one major good event last night...Camry got up and walked down to the barn like nothing ever happened. Much rejoicing

Jenn, thanks, we have more....

Linda said...

There is nothing more regale than a Jersey cow! Hope things slow down for you soon.

Anonymous said...

Uhhh EBAMA? LOL! Easy Bama. East Alabama? Electric Mooo?

threecollie said...

Linda, thanks, it was a bit quieter today

Tim, I LOVE Ebama, that is a good one!