(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Camp week

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Camp week




Last week was simply amazing. One of the nicest weeks we have ever spent at camp. There were birds and wild animals everywhere, the weather was stunning (except for one incredible downpour). We got to see any number of friends we don't get to spend time with very often. Caught a few fish. Took a lot of pictures...


194 in all plus one video. I only deleted a few when we got home where I could view them on the computer. I don't know what I am going to do with all those photos of ducks, geese kids and sunrises but I will think of something.



We puzzled for days over what these geese were grazing out of the trees until we started to find wild cherries floating on the water. If you click you can see the cherries, but we couldn't from where we were.


This beaver woke me up at 4:13 a couple of days ago, gnawing on a bass wood tree that hung out over the lake right under my bedroom window. It took me a long time to figure out what it was chewing and rolling rocks and splashing around just a few feet from where I was sleeping. I had thoughts of bears and other things more ominous than a beaver, until I heard it's signature somebody-throwing-a-bowling-ball-in-the-lake splash when I shined my flashlight out the window at it.



The Porch


Then yesterday morning as I was sitting on the porch sipping coffee, taking pictures of the sunrise and saying goodbye to the lake, it swam by about a foot from the porch. Then it disappeared in the trees overhanging the lake. For some reason it climbed up the hill to the outhouse, then thundered down, sounding like a whole herd of deer crashing through the bushes. It proceeded to swim aimlessly up and down the lake. Beavers are certainly interesting critters, but this one seemed to be operating on somewhat less than the prescribed number of cylinders so to speak. It certainly wasn't much afraid of me....or maybe it couldn't see me lurking up there on the porch. It just kept cruising past the porch...over and over again.





Until somebody said, BOO!



This is what happens when you say boo to a beaver

Who would ever believe that you would have geese eating cherries out of trees and beavers bowling under your bedroom window? Plumb amazing!

9 comments:

Deb said...

Welcome home :) Camp looks like a peaceful, serene place to spend a week or two. your pictures are beautiful as always.
I hope you all had a wonderful time.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I'm happy for you that you had a good week away. I know from my brief time on a farm that getting away is hard to do!

Freste said...

Ok if you need someone to stay there for the rest of the year, I suppose I can volunteer. I mean if you don't have anyone else to do it...

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

I just love your photographs

cocked and loaded said...

Sounds like a great time.
Nice pictures.

Stacy said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a wonderful, restful week. The lake looks absolutely perfect!

threecollie said...

Deb, thanks! We had an especially pleasant time. It was hard to come home, but I guess we are back in harness now. lol

Apple, we can't all really get away at once, but the boss doesn't like camping and Liz wanted to stay home with her show cow that is going to be calving any day now.

Shea, thank you! And thanks for visiting and taking time to comment!

Steve, I'll bet you would like it. I can't imagine not liking it, although I have some friends and family who won't visit because of the outhouse. lol

Judy, thanks and thanks for commenting. You have some great stuff on your blog too!

C&L. thanks! I love it there. Alan and I have already counted the days until next year.

Stacy, thanks, it is one of my favorite places in the world....truly

Anonymous said...

Wow, the photos are incredible and your entire blog made my day - welcome home! And, thank you for sharing. Can I go next year?

threecollie said...

teri, wish you could. Actually you can come visit if you would like. And thank you!